Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
Haha Thats what i told them!
I suggested a different "plan of attack" for this situation but they said it wouldnt be ethical.

The plan as of right now is to Drop the dirt, compact it down, seed it, and drop LESCO Seed Starter on top then water it in.... I believe this should work really well. Its nice and loose soil, anything would grow in that!
If you believe it OK
What type seed you going use at what rate?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
If you believe it OK
What type seed you going use at what rate?
I plan on using Lesco's Tall Turf Which is type Fescue. This grass tends to be drought and heat tolerant... Also I might even mix a little Bluegrass to make it look a little nicer, Texture wise.

For a new lawn like what i'm doing, (From Scratch/ Only loose dirt) The rate should be HEAVY! like 9 pounds per 1000 sq ft. I get a pretty good discount from John Deere so I do tend to spread it a bit heavier than others.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Haha Thats what i told them!
I suggested a different "plan of attack" for this situation but they said it wouldnt be ethical.

The plan as of right now is to Drop the dirt, compact it down, seed it, and drop LESCO Seed Starter on top then water it in.... I believe this should work really well. Its nice and loose soil, anything would grow in that!
Why are you going to compact it down... mix in the seed and let it settle with water... mechanical compaction is one of the biggest problems with proper germination...
I was just comparing the yahoos with the skidsters to the success of the tillers... sure is a lot of mythology in this industry...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Why are you going to compact it down... mix in the seed and let it settle with water... mechanical compaction is one of the biggest problems with proper germination...
I was just comparing the yahoos with the skidsters to the success of the tillers... sure is a lot of mythology in this industry...
Well I might have to compact down the bottom layer or it, then top it with a little bit more.. The whole reason we're coming in to do this is because the groundhogs have made this park nearly impossible to cut or even walk in. They want to level out the ground quite a bit... My only concern Was if we just dropped 10 yards of soil down in some of the areas without compacting it to some extent, it would remain too soft to ride over or erode away. Open to all suggestions!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of the ideas are based on studies in agriculture systems.
http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publ...pdf/FSA-19.pdf

In general, as I read a couple of the studies...drill seeding works best, but broadcast seeding followed by some kind of dragging or incorporation also works well if more seed is used. The tests were for agriculture purposes.

Call Critter Control and get rid of the ground hogs. Live traps or whatever it takes.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 09-02-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Lots of the ideas are based on studies in agriculture systems.
http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publ...pdf/FSA-19.pdf

In general, as I read a couple of the studies...drill seeding works best, but broadcast seeding followed by some kind of dragging or incorporation also works well if more seed is used. The tests were for agriculture purposes.

Call Critter Control and get rid of the ground hogs. Live traps or whatever it takes.
For now I just seed heavy and rake/ drag the soil and it works pretty well! One day i'll purchase the "Big-boy Equipment"
They've consulted with many companies and In my opinion, don't want to pay the price.. Or can't agree on if "physically killing them/ taking them away is the right thing to do." Also they're trying to figure out which holes/ tunnels are "active." So by having me fill them in, once a new hole arises-- they'll possibly know where work needs to be done and what other avenue they can take. Rather than setting out traps over a 10 acre park. I guess.....
Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
For now I just seed heavy and rake/ drag the soil and it works pretty well! One day i'll purchase the "Big-boy Equipment"
They've consulted with many companies and In my opinion, don't want to pay the price.. Or can't agree on if "physically killing them/ taking them away is the right thing to do." Also they're trying to figure out which holes/ tunnels are "active." So by having me fill them in, once a new hole arises-- they'll possibly know where work needs to be done and what other avenue they can take. Rather than setting out traps over a 10 acre park. I guess.....
You need get a Jack Russell terrier They will kill them ground hogs
Good trained one will go in the hole drag them out
I know a critter control guy has one for ground hogs and for moles
Old 09-21-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well boys, Unfortunately (Well For them) I didn't get the job. They gave it to someone who was a third of my price and did about a third's worth of the work. I'm not going to post pics because who knows, the head-honcho might be looking, since he's into this kind of stuff. But its really jacked up!
To me it doesn't look like they brought in enough soil and as for the hydro-seeding, it doesn't even look like they mixed it to the right ratios. Also the hogs are already digging some of the area up... What a big waste of money!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have lost jobs I really wanted either because of the same reason you lost out or became I refused to do one-third of the work I knew it would take to fix something. You are better off not being involved the way it turned out. Hard to accept, maybe, but if the choices are losing out or doing it halfassed and have it turn out bad, then being uninvolved is the best choice. Sorry it did not work out.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It wouldn't matter with 3 times the dirt,,, groundrats will stay anywhere there is nice habitat... the habitat would have to change drastically for them to actually relocate... foreplease was correct in that,,, when a job is doomed, "From the Get-Go",,, it is better to be uninvolved...