Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Ya but what about the farts?

EEEEG-zactly!


LO-fing L That made my night.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Ya but what about the farts?
I prefer more money. my friends are falling for get rich quick schemes. i'm building a foundation
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM
CollegeMowers CollegeMowers is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I've gotten to where I don't NEED to accept work and to where I'm being much more "choosy" about what jobs I will take on.

I've turned down a LOT of work this season for one reason or another. Too big, too small, too crappy, whatever.
I've gotten rid of several biweekly cuts and moved some of them to weekly cuts. Things are shaping up.
I bid what I want for the job. Sometimes I get it and sometimes they decline. Fine by me.

My schedule is nearly full, but I still go and look - it could be a better paying job that can replace a not-so-good-paying job.
This is where my question comes into play.

I know that there are people much, much more "choosy" than me and many wouldn't even dream of taking a job that could not be cut without a ZTR. So how do you do it? How do you turn them down?

This may vary by location, but around here there are hills on nearly every property and many areas are NOT well suited for mowing with a ZTR, but those properties obviously still need to be mowed and those people are going to be calling. THEY don't know that you "won't drop your gate for less that $65", and THEY don't know that you are only willing to mow lawns with a 60" ZTR, so they call...

How do you handle all of these calls from people you are either unable to help, or unwilling to?
We tell them we are 8 weeks out from starting. This way your politely turning down their business and keeping an image that your services are high in demand. If they want to wait eight weeks then I find a way to accommodate them but 99% say no. Then I refer them to my buddies.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,401
It obviously varies by location - even within one city, but I just can't wrap my head around how many calls a person must turn down if, for example, they are only running zero turn mowers. There are probably one in five hundred homes around here that you could even use a ZTR on PART of the property. All those other people are calling LCOs for estimates...
How do those guys deal with weeding them out?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
For the most part this is what I do.
If it's a small, uneven, tree root-filled, nightmare with all sorts of obstacles, I explain that the lawn isn't a good match for the equipment I use. The only problem with that is when I go look at one of those when I just have my truck and a push mower with me.


I have enough crappy lawns as it is. I'm finally at the point where I can start replacing the crappiest of them when more desirable lawns present themselves.




I dunno. I just wonder sometimes how you guys who only mow "perfect" (flat/easy) lawns deal with all the calls for quotes on jobs you won't even consider. There has to be a thousand lawns you WON'T take for every one you WILL take on. The endless calls for those you won't mow have got to be annoying. Perhaps you just rule out ANY job from a specific area, because you know the odds are it's not going to work for you?


Maybe I think too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
It obviously varies by location - even within one city, but I just can't wrap my head around how many calls a person must turn down if, for example, they are only running zero turn mowers. There are probably one in five hundred homes around here that you could even use a ZTR on PART of the property. All those other people are calling LCOs for estimates...
How do those guys deal with weeding them out?

This same question has been on my mind again as the calls are coming in fast now that spring is here.

I looked at one yesterday. You had to carry a 21" mower up about 25 steps to do the front lawn (15'x 30') then up 6 steps in a retaining wall to mow the back yard that consists of a steep hillside up away from the house about 35' deep.

This sort of situation is not at all uncommon in this area (I turned down her next door neighbor last season for the same reason - ALL the houses on the "up" side of the street are built this way) and that's what gets me to wondering how those of you who won't/can't mow these small lots deal with the volume of calls for lawns you can't take on. It has to be frustrating.

I suppose there are guys who live/work in areas where all lawns are flat and wide-open, and you wipe your butts with hundred dollar bills, but not everyone works in such a utopia - we get call after call for work we can not perform for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,924
just charge a lot more for them lawns. im sure its worth paying a guy to walk up hill if ur gettin twice your normal rate


i wish i had the issue of turning away work
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM
PicturePerfectLawns PicturePerfectLawns is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
What's wrong with saying your yard is crap and I don't won't to be associated with it. I recommend what I think should be done to spruce the place up including weed control (in the yard and flower beds). If they do not agree I decline and move on. Some have called me back after interviewing other LCOs and discussing it with their other half. You don't have to be rude to get the message across that you are proud of your business and that you wish to keep it that way. It is a strange business we're in.
Funny you mention this. I'm running into a big issue with "Dallas Grass" that's growing 6" in one week. People seem to think it's "grass" because it looks like grass. I started having to explain to all the customers in the area that are constantly calling me with their "Dallas Grass" lawns, "Mam or Sir, I can service your lawn, but you have to understand what you have is not grass, but rather a fast growing weed. I can only service your lawn under two conditions, one being that it's on a weekly schedule, and two you have it sprayed." I found it makes my life easier, either I gain a lawn that gets under normal growing conditions and is a weekly, or it gets passed up.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,431
1. Well hopefully people give you an address of the property so you can pre qualify. This always works do you can think of a reason before you call them back. It could be a million dollar home!!

2. Raise your prices so you can start switching out properties you have but don't want.

3. You can always call them tell them you are full for this year. The problem with this is you really want to know where they are located and what it looks like before you say no completely.

It's a great problem to have!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 PM
PicturePerfectLawns PicturePerfectLawns is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
This same question has been on my mind again as the calls are coming in fast now that spring is here.

I looked at one yesterday. You had to carry a 21" mower up about 25 steps to do the front lawn (15'x 30') then up 6 steps in a retaining wall to mow the back yard that consists of a steep hillside up away from the house about 35' deep.

This sort of situation is not at all uncommon in this area (I turned down her next door neighbor last season for the same reason - ALL the houses on the "up" side of the street are built this way) and that's what gets me to wondering how those of you who won't/can't mow these small lots deal with the volume of calls for lawns you can't take on. It has to be frustrating.

I suppose there are guys who live/work in areas where all lawns are flat and wide-open, and you wipe your butts with hundred dollar bills, but not everyone works in such a utopia - we get call after call for work we can not perform for one reason or another.

Ran into some similar ones this year. Can't tell you how frustrating this was. Three customers called from one brand new neighborhood. The smart builders decided to put these white picket fences along rows of tree's in each lawn. I can't get my mower through the picket fence to the back yard, and I can't get it between the beds and the fence in the front yard. Had to turn down three because of the same reason. Sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,401
It seems nobody fully understands what I'm trying to get across here.

This really has nothing to do with me. It just makes me wonder because all I ever hear on this forum are condescending comments towards anyone who would even dream of using a 21" mower - period.

I mean, if you really have that mindset, and you only mow where you can utilize a zero turn mower, how many calls are you turning down every day just based on incompatibility of the equipment vs the lawn? It has to be maddening.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.07750 seconds with 9 queries