Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
My TB153 has some of the highest bucket breakout forces of any machine in its class. I was on a job last week digging about 600 feet of water line the ground was not rocky but incredibly hard. With a 2' bucket the machine struggled with the material, I had never seen any nonrock material this hard. Utilizing the bucket curl almost exclusively was the only way possible to big (if I had frost teeth available that certainly would have helped). It was slow but effective. Between jobs like this and concrete removal, I think more is certainly better when it comes to bucket breakout.

However the bucket that the OEM uses to achieve these specs is very important. The shorter the tip radius the high the number. If you add a pin grabber style coupler, you will reduce the breakout force (some types of couplers don't negatively impact breakout). I suspect that TK achieves some of these very high breakout by reducing the bucket rollout. It is one of my only complaints of the machine, not enough bucket articulation. By reducing the articulation you can increase the power through a shorter hyd. stroke. I would be curious if anyone else has noticed this.

I cant adjust my hyd flow and my TK is a '12. The CAT E series I know does, maybe the newest Hitachi does, but the D series Deere I ran did not. I heard that TK is about to release this capability. I am not sure about others.
The tb260 has it. So does Kubota.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I could dial in the flow rate, wasn't as big of a deal with my previous 153. It did not make enough flow for it to really matter. Now that they make some serious flow, I would like the ability to dial it down for some of the low flow attachments like a small hoe pac I have.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I wish I could dial in the flow rate, wasn't as big of a deal with my previous 153. It did not make enough flow for it to really matter. Now that they make some serious flow, I would like the ability to dial it down for some of the low flow attachments like a small hoe pac I have.
I get tired of opening the cowl and turning the pressure down to use the thumb. I am so looking forward too having the ability to adjust flow and also the second circuit for the thumb.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
The tb260 has it. So does Kubota.
The 304E I operated was very nice. Any idea on how much Kubota charges for the option? I'm pretty sure it's standard on all CAT's E series from their 303.5 up. Not sure if it's only offered on Tak's tb260.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
The 304E I operated was very nice. Any idea on how much Kubota charges for the option? I'm pretty sure it's standard on all CAT's E series from their 303.5 up. Not sure if it's only offered on Tak's tb260.
Optional on Kubota but appears to be standard on the Tak TB260.
Tak will probably include it in all machines as they update them.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be interested in hearing from the OEM's on the supersizing the 45/50 size. I could see bumping the size for more performance but why not stay under 12,000 pounds to fit 12,000 pound trailers? How many have a 14,000 pound trailer?

I do like how they are really packing the features in the 55 size now. I'm impressed with that Takeuchi TB260.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I would be interested in hearing from the OEM's on the supersizing the 45/50 size. I could see bumping the size for more performance but why not stay under 12,000 pounds to fit 12,000 pound trailers? How many have a 14,000 pound trailer?

I do like how they are really packing the features in the 55 size now. I'm impressed with that Takeuchi TB260.

What I find also interesting is that few 12K trailers actually have a 12K capacity. Most trailers require you subtract the trailer weight to get the actual trailer capacity. Towmaster and some others are an exception. However your already in CDL territory so why not have a trailer with more capacity. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect that most have a larger trailer already if your in the market for one of these machines. If not you have to certainly move up in trailer capacity. I think width tends to cause as much of an issue as GVW. Deck overs such as typical BH trailers seem to be the way to go once you are obligated to own a deck over. I have resisted that so far. I have an 18K Towmaster that is limited by what can fit between the wheel wells. No issues so far but it gets tight when I have OTT on my 465. I have a triaxle tag but you certainly feel dumb using a 30T tag to move a mini ex or skid steer.

As to the features in these supersized 50 machines, I totally agree they are really putting large excavator options in these machines. I think its outstanding. These machines are so much more capable than many are aware. Adding big ex features only improves upon that. With bucket breakouts in the 14-15K range and great lift capacities, you can get a great deal of work out of these machines.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know the Case/Kobelco 55 can 'lose' counterweight to drop under 12,000 but then you are giving up performance.

Maybe it's just me but have been on the look out for a good used T14 Towmaster tilt and they just are not out there and I'm not in any shape to buy a new one.

I know what you are saying on just doing the CDL thing but just don't want to deal with the headache of it.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just got done looking at the TK TB260. Finally TK stepped up their interior, and offering a more modern and informative information system. I like the minimal tail. I am also impressed with the hydraulic system, very well appointed. It appears to come with about everything you would expect and hope for in a machine this size. I could not give up my Side to Side boom to go back to a swing boom but other that, dam impressive excavator. I can see why its generating some interest.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I know the Case/Kobelco 55 can 'lose' counterweight to drop under 12,000 but then you are giving up performance.

Maybe it's just me but have been on the look out for a good used T14 Towmaster tilt and they just are not out there and I'm not in any shape to buy a new one.

I know what you are saying on just doing the CDL thing but just don't want to deal with the headache of it.

I like the ability to add or cut weight on a mini. Its not something you would do a lot but its nice to have the option to do so. Once issue however is once you have a thumb (prolink is even worse for weight), and coupler you really need the counterweight on to take advantage of the machines capacity.