Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 08-31-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Power issues with GXV-530 on a 2010 Sport

I have a 2010 Sport with a GXV-530 Honda engine. When I start it up there is very little power and the engine runs a little rough. If I engage the blades the mower will stall. After running a few minutes the issues goís away and the mower runs strong. I have changed the plugs but no good. I can pull the wire off the spark plugs one at a time and the mower will fire on each side. I am not a pro at this but I figure it is probably electric, maybe ignition related. Would like to take a shot at fixing it myself if it is not too big of a job. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

That is a very good engine on that machine. Slow start up maybe it just needs to get warmed up. Personally I need a couple cups of coffee before I get rolling in the morning. Jumping right out of bed into the fire is not for me. You say the engine runs fine when warmed up, I understand. Never been a fan of starting a machine and going right into a heavy load. I like making sure all the fluids are flowing before I engage. Maybe the field has some other suggestions

Brian O
Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

The engine ran fine for the first 250 hours or so. I am the only owner of the mower. On cold or damp days the mower will not recover and I can get it to limp back to the shed. On very hot days the issue does not occur at all. But the issue has been trending worse over this mowing season and I am afraid that once fall arrives the mower will become me unusable. The when the issue stops it stops like someone turned a switch. Everything is fine. I was thinking about replacing the ignition coils but not sure if the mower would simply not fire on the cylinder with the bad coil or would let it run rough like mine.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Sponsor

when the machine acts up we need to find if it's fuel or spark. Most of my issues on spark have been because of heat not cool weather. Damp weather could be a flag. Maybe some grounding going on. Sending a spark but not a hot one due to the dampness. Until we find out if it's fuel or electrical we are just guessing. Something as simple as a choke or an airfilter should also be looked at.

Brian O
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Member

At this point I have already replaced the plugs, air filter and fuel filter. I have disconnected the wiring harnesses and cleaned all of the connections and cleaned the carb linkages. Although I did not lubricate them come to think of it. Is there an easy way to check for a grounding issue or would that be best to pass along to the dealership?

Thanks for your help by the way.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Sponsor

That is good maintenance for your machine and wont hurt. But it sounds like it didn't fix anything either. I would suggest when it acts up to spray some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb and see if there is a reaction? If the machine has no change I would lean towards spark. If it perks up I would look at the fuel supply, focusing on the main jet in the carb.

Brian O
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Looks like it was Carb related after all. After cleaning with carb cleaner and a little WD40 on the linkages the problem has not reappeared. Thanks for working with me on this. For a homeowner the Sport was a big investment and it is great to see Hustler help out years after the purchase.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Sponsor

Great news, sometimes the shaft that goes through the carb gets gummed up and doesn't move freely. A little gumout while moving the gov. arm helps free that up. Doing this with the engine off.
Thanks for reaching out.

Brian O