Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Broken Rear Rim

Starting 3rd summer on FT SD 54, 276 hours. Was mowing tonight and all of a sudden the mower jerked to the left. Stopped and got off the mower to find the tire going flat and the center broke out of the rim. Not a happy camper! Looked at the right side and the rim on that side is starting to crack as well. Mower is not abused in anyway and still looks new.

This mower has been a lemon since I bought it, oil pump lost pressure, got that fixed then the bottom crank seal leaked like crazy, then the oil drain pipe gasket started leaking. The shop took care of it all but they have had this mower more than me.

Has anyone else ran into this issue with the rims?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Sponsor

There was a SB (#484) sent out on serial # units prior to 09091952 that calls for the dealer to install a backing plate on the unit to help prevent this from happening. I would suggest you reach out to your dealer to get this wheel replaced and the other side inspected if you fall into this range. If your unit is above ser# 09091952 please reach out back to me with your serial #.

Brian O
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Took both rims and tires back to the dealer, they replaced them on the spot, can't beat that for service.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Does the SB #484 also include the FT SD 60" mowers? Just had a friend's rear wheel rip apart on him, and mine are showing some wear on the inside.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Sponsor

Most, not all SB are model and serial number specific and have sunsets on them, meaning they don't last forever. Most are written around a component from a supplier that has failed in the field. We are able to track these parts and limit the troubled units down to a range in production. SB484 does include the old 60 SDF. That service bulletin will be 4 years old in October.

Brian O
Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

where do go to see if you have any service bulletins for the ztr that you own?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Sponsor

I don't believe SB are on the web page. I know we post recalls but the basic SB are not listed. A SB may be about a rim like we are talking about here, or it could be about a loose nut on a seat cushion. Most of the SB are points of reference, not like what you see in the automotive field.

Brian O
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The wheel failure problem is well documented on this Hustler forum, going back many years ago. I am not sure, but it may have first been mentioned as far back as 8 or 10 years. Hustler has always made good on those failed wheels in the past. If the archives on this site go back far enough, you can read many posts about the wheel problem. These are the first wheel failures I have heard of on a Hustler, in quite a few years.
As I said, they have always covered this under warranty in the past.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

How do I figure out if our mowers had any issues with this SB. His mower was from 2008 and mine is a 2009.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Sponsor

Most SB have a shelf life of a year. If a SB is issued the reason for the SB usually shows up very fast. Most of the SB are written around a serial number range. A weak or faulty part might have come in from a supplier during a specific build run of that model. Whether or not you machine falls within the SB a dealer should be able to tell. If not a quick photo to our service depts will answer that question. Give an example of why this is, lets say we have a SB on a leaky tire. Had a bad batch that wouldn't hold the bead. John Doe's machine is working just fine, holding air like it should. Then one day he runs over a RR spike and puts a huge hole in the tire. Well, it no longer holds air, does that mean it falls under the SB?
I would suggest having your dealer look at your issue and see if it falls under our SB.

Brian O