Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the best landscape design software for the money?

I'm looking for a decent design software for a good price. Keep in mind that we are primarily a maintenance company but I would like to have a software to prepare drawings for the customers we service. As if now, everything is hand drawn and very time consuming. I don't need to most advanced software on the market. Just some basic software with desent features and easy to use. I would like the software to have a library of plants and be able to print/email the final plan. Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm needing to find the same thing. Hand drawing these just isn't practical anymore. It takes too long. I bet if we search there's already a thread about this.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

What's the best landscape design software for the money?

I use pro landscape by drafix software. The first few designs take a little while but gets a lot faster after a couple of designs. For renovations I usually do the photo imaging design and for new homes I do cad type drawing. Also offers a 3d but I have not tried it. At first I didn't feel very comfortable with it and didn't charge for the designs but now there's no way I'm doing one and not charging for it. Its $1495 but they run a labor weekend special for $1295. But it has paid for itself over and over again. I also tried one of punch's software's but it sucked I stopped using it and went back to hand drawn.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciajj612 View Post
I use pro landscape by drafix software. The first few designs take a little while but gets a lot faster after a couple of designs. For renovations I usually do the photo imaging design and for new homes I do cad type drawing. Also offers a 3d but I have not tried it. At first I didn't feel very comfortable with it and didn't charge for the designs but now there's no way I'm doing one and not charging for it. Its $1495 but they run a labor weekend special for $1295. But it has paid for itself over and over again. I also tried one of punch's software's but it sucked I stopped using it and went back to hand drawn.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

I've sold so many jobs just on the image editor side of the program as it puts into perspective for my clients on what they are going to get in the end.

Rarely do I use the planner(CAD) side of the program, but it comes in handy when needed. Right now working on a 125k master plan for a client. Whether or not it will get done, we'll see.....

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like an awesome program. But we are mainly a maintenance company, we just need something better/faster than a hand drawing. I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on software is wouldn't be used everyday. I'm sure it's worth every penny for you guys that use it daily or are just landscape designers.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if this exists or not, but I was thinking in my mind that if a had a program that allowed me to draw the outline of the home, walkways, patios etc... The have a library of plants that I could add in to get an overhead, 2d drawing to present the layout of an landscape to a potential customer. I want some software that can do this, either black and white or color
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I don't know if this exists or not, but I was thinking in my mind that if a had a program that allowed me to draw the outline of the home, walkways, patios etc... The have a library of plants that I could add in to get an overhead, 2d drawing to present the layout of an landscape to a potential customer. I want some software that can do this, either black and white or color
You just described Dynascape, I think.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless, if you are doing large hand drawing like that, you need a good program. Two, 2k jobs and it pays for itself.

And you can get by a few years without upgrading, so over time it pays for itself.

Don't be cheap with whatever program you use.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

DynaScape or Landscape Pro. DynaScape is ALOT more powerful and ALOT more costly with a price tag in the thousands. Also alot more complained BUT it can be used by LAs and LDs. Landscape Pro I think is the best for landscape designers and I use it. It pays for itself.

I was trained on Dynascape while I was at Virginia Tech. Back then I would of said it was the best but Landscape Pro has come long way. Just simpler and best solution for a landscaper that isn't solely designing. All the above guys are very right. It seems like a lot of money up front but it will pay for its self VERY quickly. Do not waste money on the cheap stuff out there, all you are doing is wasting money.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
All the above guys are very right. It seems like a lot of money up front but it will pay for its self VERY quickly. Do not waste money on the cheap stuff out there, all you are doing is wasting money.

We've hooked in clients with our program. Once they see the output of Pro, they are thrilled and keep calling us back for more work.

Too many other companies are either using cheap programs, or still hand drawing designs, and we are getting customers from them.

At least with us, the CAD style is going out of style. The image editor is really the heart of our designs. Most of our clients can't visualize what the end product will be, and if you are remotely close with the image editor, it will sell the job.