Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I know the Case/Kobelco 55 can 'lose' counterweight to drop under 12,000 but then you are giving up performance.

I know what you are saying on just doing the CDL thing but just don't want to deal with the headache of it.
I'm in the same boat. As a one man show, I only have limited time. I think if I have to upgrade trucks, I may get a 450 or 550 and get a bigger trailer. I had my trailer derated at the factory to stay under CDL. Sounds silly but it saved me a lot of time and hassle but if I want to grow to where I can take on bigger work, then I will need bigger equipment. A mini x with 14k breakout would open a lot of doors in the rock moving department. As for stumps, I rather grind them down and haven't come across much that's too big for my 335. It's the rocks and being able to dig and carry and place. That's where a bigger machine would shine but by the time I add up everything, I better have a lot of work to support that since I'd need to update trucks, trailers, and complimentary tools like my dump trailer. Wouldn't make much sense to have a CDL and bigger truck and only have a 14k dump trailer. I'm not worried about testing. I have a college degree. My issue is I don't have anyone close to me with a class A to go with. My trucker only has a Class B so I'm not sure what to do about that part plus nothing I own would allow me to take the test.

Right now, I'm attachment poor but if I got into a bigger excavator with better hydraulic performance, I might get several attachments for it and get out of the skid steer more often.

I think a 6 ton machine would open some doors on road work that's been typically reserved for the backhoe or small dozer in this area. I have done difficult work with my little Bobcat 335 and can imagine doubling my productivity with a bigger machine.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Last edited by YellowDogSVC; 09-02-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I'm in the same boat. As a one man show, I only have limited time. I think if I have to upgrade trucks, I may get a 450 or 550 and get a bigger trailer. I had my trailer derated at the factory to stay under CDL. Sounds silly but it saved me a lot of time and hassle but if I want to grow to where I can take on bigger work, then I will need bigger equipment. A mini x with 14k breakout would open a lot of doors in the rock moving department. As for stumps, I rather grind them down and haven't come across much that's too big for my 335. It's the rocks and being able to dig and carry and place. That's where a bigger machine would shine but by the time I add up everything, I better have a lot of work to support that since I'd need to update trucks, trailers, and complimentary tools like my dump trailer. Wouldn't make much sense to have a CDL and bigger truck and only have a 14k dump trailer. I'm not worried about testing. I have a college degree. My issue is I don't have anyone close to me with a class A to go with. My trucker only has a Class B so I'm not sure what to do about that part plus nothing I own would allow me to take the test.

Right now, I'm attachment poor but if I got into a bigger excavator with better hydraulic performance, I might get several attachments for it and get out of the skid steer more often.

I think a 6 ton machine would open some doors on road work that's been typically reserved for the backhoe or small dozer in this area. I have done difficult work with my little Bobcat 335 and can imagine doubling my productivity with a bigger machine.

Every operation has its own limitations and issues. So there is no cookie cutter solutions that applies 100% to every business model (disclaimer). I gradually increased the size of my equipment. I stepped up to the TB153 in 03, picked up a bigger tag trailer in 05 and bought the 5500 (used a large gooseneck I already had in the mean time). Gradually increased my trucking capacity as I could. I think for the most part the changes can be incremental. Like I said earlier the impact that stepping up to the 6 ton machine made in my business was nothing short of crazy good. It made funding the upsizing much easier. As a result, I do spend less time in a skid steer or maybe now I have the ability to select the right tool for the job.

All you need is to rent or borrow a truck and find, beg or borrow a trailer with a gvw of 10,001 and do the test.

Its a really a good time to be in the market for a new mini ex. The number of models is exhausting to research, that never used to be the case. The options and capabilities of these new machines can really help with the ROI. I paid mid 60's for my TB153. When I consider how much the machine makes and how often its used, its a bargin. The OEMs really have their work cut out for them. They have to meet Tier 4 final, and still keep up with the Jones in respect to the options that they offer and do it at a price that makes them competitive.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Mini Excavators

You get what you pay for. If you need a a bigger machine go for for it...but the weight issues may be an issue. The smaller machines do quite well in tight spots etc,. My advice is get a hyd thumb if possible...you will never go back.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I just got done looking at the TK TB260. Finally TK stepped up their interior, and offering a more modern and informative information system. I like the minimal tail. I am also impressed with the hydraulic system, very well appointed. It appears to come with about everything you would expect and hope for in a machine this size. I could not give up my Side to Side boom to go back to a swing boom but other that, dam impressive excavator. I can see why its generating some interest.
I dig a lot of curves in my trenches and the swing boom is priceless for me. I can see the attraction of side to side boom but I prefer the swing boom. At least Tak gives you a choice. Did you see the 260 in person?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, just what I read and saw on their website. The swing boom is certainly more simple (read fewer zerks).

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The other thing that I think is interesting is the strength of all the brands on the minis. Maybe it's just me but there is so many brands you can pick from now beyond the 'regular' brands, say for example - IHI or Wacker Neuson.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Every operation has its own limitations and issues. So there is no cookie cutter solutions that applies 100% to every business model (disclaimer). I gradually increased the size of my equipment. I stepped up to the TB153 in 03, picked up a bigger tag trailer in 05 and bought the 5500 (used a large gooseneck I already had in the mean time). Gradually increased my trucking capacity as I could. I think for the most part the changes can be incremental. Like I said earlier the impact that stepping up to the 6 ton machine made in my business was nothing short of crazy good. It made funding the upsizing much easier. As a result, I do spend less time in a skid steer or maybe now I have the ability to select the right tool for the job.

All you need is to rent or borrow a truck and find, beg or borrow a trailer with a gvw of 10,001 and do the test.

Its a really a good time to be in the market for a new mini ex. The number of models is exhausting to research, that never used to be the case. The options and capabilities of these new machines can really help with the ROI. I paid mid 60's for my TB153. When I consider how much the machine makes and how often its used, its a bargin. The OEMs really have their work cut out for them. They have to meet Tier 4 final, and still keep up with the Jones in respect to the options that they offer and do it at a price that makes them competitive.
ALL true. I'm not getting any younger, either. I don't want to be 50 and just clearing cedar trees though I enjoy mulching brush piles. I'm weird. I don't like clearing land. I like to clean it up.. improve it but I'm not into landscaping too much but so far I've used the 335 to take down a large metal building after a fire, build a boulder retaining wall in a live creek, crush metal to haul for recycling, and load and move large, dead trees in tight spots and dig large holes to plant trees the last three seasons. I've also buried my share of the neighbor's horses (non profit horse farm that does wounded warrior therapy). Having a longer reach and the power to dig through difficult ground like caliche would be a plus.

A larger excavator would be ideal for that work since those trees are so heavy and dangerous and I could do more demolition rip through the hard-pack. Having a more stable platform would be nice, too. The 335 I use is very tippy even with conventional tail not to mention the hydraulics are not smooth like my Bobcat skid.

I can think of a lot of jobs I could do with a stronger excavator. No doubt it would pay for itself.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
ALL true. I'm not getting any younger, either. I don't want to be 50 and just clearing cedar trees though I enjoy mulching brush piles. I'm weird. I don't like clearing land. I like to clean it up.. improve it but I'm not into landscaping too much but so far I've used the 335 to take down a large metal building after a fire, build a boulder retaining wall in a live creek, crush metal to haul for recycling, and load and move large, dead trees in tight spots and dig large holes to plant trees the last three seasons. I've also buried my share of the neighbor's horses (non profit horse farm that does wounded warrior therapy). Having a longer reach and the power to dig through difficult ground like caliche would be a plus.

A larger excavator would be ideal for that work since those trees are so heavy and dangerous and I could do more demolition rip through the hard-pack. Having a more stable platform would be nice, too. The 335 I use is very tippy even with conventional tail not to mention the hydraulics are not smooth like my Bobcat skid.

I can think of a lot of jobs I could do with a stronger excavator. No doubt it would pay for itself.
One thing I have learned is the equipment always seems too need to be bigger. Rarely do I ever wish it was smaller.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
One thing I have learned is the equipment always seems too need to be bigger. Rarely do I ever wish it was smaller.
I don't know, there is a lot of times I would prefer a smaller skid than my 440 on projects.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Ain't that the truth. If I had a genie, I'd ask to have a big, bigger, and biggest of everything I use.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing