Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Big Dog Diablo Big Dog Diablo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shelbyville TN
Posts: 207
Any Tips?

Does anyone on LS have any tricks or tips to do to a mower deck to create more lift(vacuum) besides running high lift blades. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 AM
saw man's Avatar
saw man saw man is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: utah
Posts: 1,023
Not that I am aware of, most of that will come with the blades as well as the deck build.

Kind of like a car, you design it to go 200 mph or climb rocks - Not both.

Get the highest lift blades you can and make sure your deck is clean!
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Big Dog Diablo Big Dog Diablo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shelbyville TN
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw man View Post
Not that I am aware of, most of that will come with the blades as well as the deck build.

Kind of like a car, you design it to go 200 mph or climb rocks - Not both.

Get the highest lift blades you can and make sure your deck is clean!
I just hate running the high lifts. More gas, dust etc... Was hoping somone on LS had a few tricks up their sleeve. lol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Sprinkler Buddy's Avatar
Sprinkler Buddy Sprinkler Buddy is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 947
Lowering the deck would help if your cutting on the high side.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 AM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
I just hate running the high lifts. More gas, dust etc... Was hoping somone on LS had a few tricks up their sleeve. lol
There is no magic. With lift and vacuum, there will be dust (if its dry).

You do have a discharge port open yeah? (A closed mulching deck will have less lift).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Big Dog Diablo Big Dog Diablo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shelbyville TN
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
There is no magic. With lift and vacuum, there will be dust (if its dry).

You do have a discharge port open yeah? (A closed mulching deck will have less lift).
Yeah its open. I cut all my accounts in 3.5"-4", I have noticed on my yard (3") that it seems to have more lift. My blades set about an 1/8" above the bottom of the front of the deck. If my blades were up higher in the deck would that create more lift?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,663
Take all spacers out get the blade farther up in the deck
That's how I get it on my DC I use a rolled lift blade its a blade falls in between med lift and high lift
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Big Dog Diablo Big Dog Diablo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shelbyville TN
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Take all spacers out get the blade farther up in the deck
That's how I get it on my DC I use a rolled lift blade its a blade falls in between med lift and high lift
Well I have always thought that the higher the blade was in the deck the more lift but was listening to some folks talk down at the dealer and they were saying the opposite. The Diablo doesnt have any spacers between the blades and spindles so that is not an option for me. My standard blades have a 1' sail and the highlifts have a 1.5' sail. I am going to call around and see if anyone has a set in stock with a 1 1/4' sail and see what happens. Thanks for the info,
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,438
Just go with the high lifts. It won't be that much more dust really, but there will def be more lift. Most decks start losing suction after you get to 3.25"- 3.5". Sure, they still cut, but not as cleanly as when they are set at 3" or less. Mine is no different- even with high lifts. I cut at 3.5" because over that the quality of the cut really falls away.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Big Dog Diablo Big Dog Diablo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shelbyville TN
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Just go with the high lifts. It won't be that much more dust really, but there will def be more lift. Most decks start losing suction after you get to 3.25"- 3.5". Sure, they still cut, but not as cleanly as when they are set at 3" or less. Mine is no different- even with high lifts. I cut at 3.5" because over that the quality of the cut really falls away.
Ridin its really not the dust that bothers me as much as the extra fuel consumption. Over the course of a mowing season that's alot of extra dollars. I been studying on my current deck and may try a few mods on it this winter. While I'm no fabricator I have a friend that can build just about anything. I wish there was a clear cut , hands down best deck out there but it's like everything else, depends on who you ask,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.08391 seconds with 9 queries