Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2003, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Big Decision

Hey Fellas,
Made the big decision tonight to take my current part-time (30 Res Accnts) to a full time business next season. Will be for the most part a solo operation with a family member helping some times.
I have always heard when you turn a hobby into a business you lose some of the appeal. I am intrested in what were the bigest changes you all encountered when this went from a hobby into a profession. I am assuming this is how most of started, forgive me if not. Thank You for your replies.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Big Decision

Quote:
Originally posted by smokymoose
...I have always heard when you turn a hobby into a business you lose some of the appeal. I am intrested in what were the bigest changes you all encountered when this went from a hobby into a profession. .
YES, it becomes work, hard work. This is my first season full time. Here we have to make enough in season to live all year long.

When you quit that full time job, make sure you have plenty of money put back for "rainy days"...anything and everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Dont push too hard to put on new accounts, you might spread yourself too thin.

When I was part time, the heat never bothered me, but full time and being out in it all day during the summer......well its brutal.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Big Decision

Quote:
Originally posted by smokymoose
Hey Fellas,
I have always heard when you turn a hobby into a business you lose some of the appeal. I am intrested in what were the bigest changes you all encountered when this went from a hobby into a profession.
It became a JOB instead of a hobby. Instead of being able to plant and work with unique plants to get your desired effect you have to consider your time involved and the customer's budget. Instead of enjoying your green lawn with nice straight lines and detailed beds while having a beer on the deck afterwards it becomes "hurry on to the next one".

The creative factor tends to dive since everything is dollar driven. And then you realize you have to get to work by 8.am. to get the days work done, and you tend to feel it is PITA just like other jobs.

I really think it would be better for someone who didn't 'enjoy' lawn work to be in it as a business. BUT that has its problems too. So I think it's a matter of recognizing it won't be like the hobby fun anymore and then having a different hobby.

Also I found myself not enjoying time-off. Always thinking about the WORK. Go to a different town for vacation or a weekend and you want to tour nurseries while wife wants to go for a bike ride...

But I still enjoy green stuff! And there's a reason for that..
Old 09-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Suspended

For me it is still my hobby, my passion.

I have been in business 27 years. And I am eager for the next day, for no day is the same as the one before.

I was going to write this rather involved thing about what I love about this industry and what I have gotten out of it and what I have been able to contribute. But I just couldn't get it organized. There are so many wonderfull things of this business if you just look out with open eyes and an open mind.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thak You Glan, and others.

I'm very happy with my decision. I look forward to the job and hard work, neither concept is new to me. What is new is the fact that I alone must feed my family, but I also look forward to that challange. I appreciate your honest replies. Green in Idaho , you had a post on a thread about realistic income which was very influencal in my decision Thank You. Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cool.

I think GLAN has the best post I've read in a long time! After 27 years and still eager to take on the day. GLAN hope you can find the time for the post you were wanting to put together....

I'd say whether is was a hobby, is a hobby, or never was, the best thing is being able to determine your own future, rather than relying on someone or having your fate determined by someone else. Think of the Enrons, the Montana Power, and others--Whoosh, the jobs were GONE because someone else was stealing the whole dang cookie jar while the workers were busting their as working more hours, and putting up with jerks, just for a paycheck.

BUT that has to be balanced with, no matter what you still end up "working for someone" and having to be there Monday at 9a.m. It's all pretty much the same to me. Being able to determine ones future in corporate just means making the annual reviews, asking for the right money, not pising on the wrong people... etc, right???? That's just like operating your own business....

Speaking of which, I've got to get back to work. I have a client deadline tomorrow morning for an assignment.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

SmokyMoose,

Keep us posted how everything goes!