Register free!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

look's good, 65/45 at least its green right...keep up the good work, sounds like a nice account for you..
Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I did: adopted one field to show them how 6 could look. Many of the sports organizations have more money to work with for field work than the cities and towns in which they are located. Takes a long time for some of them to get past the notions that it really is not important to take care of the grass and that everything can be done well by volunteers.

Baseball people are neurotic about their dirt. It takes a lot of work and most places are doing it poorly, usually accentuating their problems with bad practices. I now understand why the infield dirt is so important but my first couple years I kept saying "Really? That dirt is already dead. Let's not let the grass die too." There is an art and a science both to maintaining all those infield dirt edges. The sooner you take the rakes away from the volunteers the better.

In looking at your photo above I am wondering if you are exceptionally creative or you misunderstood what I said about mowing in 4 different directions. It looks like you tried 3 different directions on the same cut. Typically, I rotate the 4 directions one per mowing.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post

In looking at your photo above I am wondering if you are exceptionally creative or you misunderstood what I said about mowing in 4 different directions. It looks like you tried 3 different directions on the same cut. Typically, I rotate the 4 directions one per mowing.
I think that's where the stripes from the 1st cut were still showing up... There was still a lot of left over clumps from where the weeds were so high in left field, so it required an extra mowing.

There are two fields that they focus on, one is that field, used for Little League and the other is used for Babe Ruth League. The others are for T-ball. The infield on the LL and BR fields are definitely different, I guess a blend of clay, sand and dirt. We are supposed to go talk with a couple people tomorrow about some possible long term upkeep.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, managed to get another cut in yesterday.... as everyone else has said, I can't believe the rain we've had this year. The stripes are starting to come in pretty good now. Doing the 1st/3rd follow. I've got some more pics I'll upload later. I wish I could get high enough to see the diamonds.

These pics are from the right field bleachers. The 1st game is this Friday.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's looking good! Big improvement for roughly 3 weeks. I've worked on places where sometimes the only change they made or could make the first season was to mow better. They think I'm crazy when I suggest it up front and surprised later at the difference. Then, I can come back a year later and they're back to following the outfield fence every time. I am working on a football field right now (pics and description in "lawn and renovation" forum) and found yesterday that it had been mowed in a Zamboni pattern!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the rest of them.... I saw your thread on the football field. That's sweet.

How do you go about transitioning from the infield to outfield? Do you just run the mower through the base path? What we've been doing is just mowing each separate, trying to match up the stripes...
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't cross the grass-dirt line with the blade spinning; not at the mound, across base paths, or at the radius. It is easy to scalp the grass there. And, once they see how good the grass looks they will take better care of the dirt and not want you on it or discharging on it. I try to blow it off base paths with the deck when I am done if I have made a mess. If everything is squared off you can make lines in the same direction easily enough (home to 2nd, 1st to 3rd, etc). Don't know that I have ever thought about matching them up but understand what you mean.

Thanks for looking throught the football thread. It should have gone here but there just isn't much activity on this side anymore, unfortunately. I have an old very detailed thread about building mounds on this side of the forum if you ever get into that. Sounds like grass is more your specialty.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey-I see you found higher ground to take the photos too!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to know more of the ins and outs of grounds keeping, but I realize that's a college degree in itself. I've always loved looking at turf on ball fields, golf courses, anything that people put an effort into.