Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Or you can hustle around, get done fast, and still have it look great like your property does. We don't all have time to take our time on properties, time is money, and at a $30 property I Better be their less than 20 minutes if I'm doing it myself.
Same thing I was thinking. I also agree with the others about ethics, you don't mess with another man's livelihood no matter how shoddy you think their work is. If I were your competitor and found out about this thread you'd be getting a less than pleasant letter from my lawyer.........
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in your work.

Take that other yard from him and mow it like its on fire- apparently the owner don't care.

Then you will have side by side lawns to mow. One with stripes and one with scuffs. And twice the money in your pocket when you drive out of there.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

This is my smallest lot, well... second smallest. I have one property that has a Mini-Mansion sitting on a postage stamp lot, so there is only 15' x 80' front yard, 20' x 80' in the back. The rest is all house on 80' x 125' lot. I charge him $30 too.

The grass is the same on both properties, same condition, same type. And just for reference. I am a one man show, my labor rate is only $65 an hour, and I do that lot in 20-25-minutes (cut, trim, edge, blow). He was done in 10, and is also a 1-man show.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those are mobil home lots?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Those are mobil home lots?
Yep, 45 x 100 lots around here. Some are 80 x 110.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Same thing I was thinking. I also agree with the others about ethics, you don't mess with another man's livelihood no matter how shoddy you think their work is. If I were your competitor and found out about this thread you'd be getting a less than pleasant letter from my lawyer.........
What would the letter be about ?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nredo View Post
What would the letter be about ?
I thought it was pretty obvious the comments were defamatory in nature, but maybe it's just me
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It is a waste of time to concern yourself with what other lawn care guys are doing or what they are charging. I have seen on LS many times since I joined a few months ago people talk about this $1 a minute rate. If thats the case then all these 20 min jobs we have that we are charging 30+ dollars for we should lower the price right? NO!!! My neck of the woods aint no different than anywhere else. These so called low ballers most of the time are no different than you and me. They are out trying to make ends meets and put food on the table and a little change in their pocket. I have accounts that I know I should be charging more but they are beside other accounts that I already had but regardless, you can't make any money sittin at the house.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
It is a waste of time to concern yourself with what other lawn care guys are doing or what they are charging. I have seen on LS many times since I joined a few months ago people talk about this $1 a minute rate. If thats the case then all these 20 min jobs we have that we are charging 30+ dollars for we should lower the price right? NO!!! My neck of the woods aint no different than anywhere else. These so called low ballers most of the time are no different than you and me. They are out trying to make ends meets and put food on the table and a little change in their pocket. I have accounts that I know I should be charging more but they are beside other accounts that I already had but regardless, you can't make any money sittin at the house.
LOL! That's true. You cannot make money sitting in the house. And Trust me, if I could charge $100 for a 10,000-sq lot I would. Actually, around here I am considered expensive. I have lost customers because I charge too much. lol. My labor rate is $65 an hour, and once I sit down this year and analyze the costs, I will probably be making chump change on cutting grass. But cutting grass opens the door to where I know I am cleaning up, and that is lawn restoration, tree and bush trimming & shaping, power washing, designing and installing landscape beds, retention walls, water features, and paver sidewalks and driveways. It only takes one good project a month to keep the wife smiling. So when I get two or three, she's walks around doing the happy dance, and for me, that's what it is all about. Keeping my girl happy and smiling.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
LOL! That's true. You cannot make money sitting in the house. And Trust me, if I could charge $100 for a 10,000-sq lot I would. Actually, around here I am considered expensive. I have lost customers because I charge too much. lol. My labor rate is $65 an hour, and once I sit down this year and analyze the costs, I will probably be making chump change on cutting grass. But cutting grass opens the door to where I know I am cleaning up, and that is lawn restoration, tree and bush trimming & shaping, power washing, designing and installing landscape beds, retention walls, water features, and paver sidewalks and driveways. It only takes one good project a month to keep the wife smiling. So when I get two or three, she's walks around doing the happy dance, and for me, that's what it is all about. Keeping my girl happy and smiling.
PLC, my quote was not directed at you just giving my opinion.