Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hand Spread Mulching Companies

Have you ever used a mulch spreading company?

I know of a company that only spreads mulch, and it all done by hand.
These guys are installing over 1,000,000 bags of mulch annually.. It's hard to believe, I know.

We've all seen the mulch blower trucks (I'm sure some of you have one yourself) why would a person want to apply by hand when there's a mechanical way that's far less overhead ??
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Better job with personal overview to anticipate and correct weed issues before they happen... I don't like "Blowers" personally and would never use one unless the job really did call for it... mulch needs to go in the most inconvenient places most of the time and why one would expect that dragging a hose through the shrubs is easier,,, I don't know...
Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do agree that it takes some care when applying mulch, a little time and finesse.
These guys are making millions off of just applying mulch up and down the east coast. it's all commercial jobs of course, mostly golf courses and jobs that are contracted to them by valleycrest and companies that are large enough to flip the bill for their services.. but it was an ingenious idea to start this company!

It does take its toll on your back i bet! lol
Old 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Better job with personal overview to anticipate and correct weed issues before they happen... I don't like "Blowers" personally and would never use one unless the job really did call for it... mulch needs to go in the most inconvenient places most of the time and why one would expect that dragging a hose through the shrubs is easier,,, I don't know...
Agreed. A couple of "larger" companies locally have bad reviews on google for the dust and mess left behind from blowing mulch in.

And also agree that there is a time an place for a mulch blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbf0786 View Post
I do agree that it takes some care when applying mulch, a little time and finesse.
These guys are making millions off of just applying mulch up and down the east coast. it's all commercial jobs of course, mostly golf courses and jobs that are contracted to them by valleycrest and companies that are large enough to flip the bill for their services.. but it was an ingenious idea to start this company!

It does take its toll on your back i bet! lol
Seems like someone got an "in" with a national and decided that that's all they would do. Not a bad gig when you think about it. Landscaping has 100's of things you can offer, if you focus on one thing, and are the best at it, then it could be a profitable venture.

As for the back, it's on the laborers..........

Hope they are paid well.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.