Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a937539 View Post
Hey Joel D I really like that customer agreement would it be alright if I used it as an outline/reference and type up a similar version that would work for me I wanted to ask instead of just taking it.
Go for it man.

Chuck Norris, thank you.

I'm not big roller in this business by any means, but I have acquired some knowledge over the years, and I like to share it. I feel that if more people treated this type of work as an industry, and set industry standards (even if it is just having service agreements) instead of a way to make beer money we would all be able to make an honest living from it and not have to deal with so many customers like the ones that we all complain about on here. Unfortunately, many people know that there is always someone cutting grass that is trying to make a few bucks so they try take advantage of us all.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel D View Post
Go for it man.

Chuck Norris, thank you.

I'm not big roller in this business by any means, but I have acquired some knowledge over the years, and I like to share it. I feel that if more people treated this type of work as an industry, and set industry standards (even if it is just having service agreements) instead of a way to make beer money we would all be able to make an honest living from it and not have to deal with so many customers like the ones that we all complain about on here. Unfortunately, many people know that there is always someone cutting grass that is trying to make a few bucks so they try take advantage of us all.

I had one client that wanted me to cut her rent house and the set price was $45 and that was when I first looked at the yard and it wasn't high at all. Well I got a call saying that she wanted me to go service her rent house yard. So I did and I told her that it would be $90 instead of $45 because I had to double cut her yard and bag 2 bags worth of clippings. Needless to say she daid well you told me that it would be $45 but ma'am that's the price when I dont have to double cut thr yard.

Do you think I might have charged too much to double cut this yard or should I have charged $5-$10 to double cut??
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually charge 50% more on top of the original price so I would have been at $67.50, but I might round it off to $70 or $65 depending on what kind of attitude the person has. That is why you have to set clear expectations from the beginning.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I usually charge 50% more on top of the original price so I would have been at $67.50, but I might round it off to $70 or $65 depending on what kind of attitude the person has. That is why you have to set clear expectations from the beginning.

Man this information really is starting to make everything more clearer. You are like the grass master man!!! I greatly appreciate everything you have mentioned, it has helped out a lot.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Anytime man.

I'm guessing you're fairly new to the business. If so take some time, and write out a business plan. It will help you out big time. They have example plans on line. It doesn't need to be all professional or anything, but just something to set guidelines and goals for yourself. Then draft some type of agreement for your customers to sign whether it is a service agreement like I use or a full blown annual contract . I have learned that if someone doesn't want to sign a agreement they are someone I don't want to work for. Running a business is so much easier when you operate on a plan instead of just making stuff up as it goes.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Anytime man.

I'm guessing you're fairly new to the business. If so take some time, and write out a business plan. It will help you out big time. They have example plans on line. It doesn't need to be all professional or anything, but just something to set guidelines and goals for yourself. Then draft some type of agreement for your customers to sign whether it is a service agreement like I use or a full blown annual contract . I have learned that if someone doesn't want to sign a agreement they are someone I don't want to work for. Running a business is so much easier when you operate on a plan instead of just making stuff up as it goes.

How do you go about making a business plan?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Just go to the link at the bottom and read through it (it's not mine just a sample from the inter webs). I'm not saying it needs to be any where as nice as this one, but it will give you an idea of what you want to do. Business plans lay out most of everything you need to know about your own business. This allows you to have a clear idea of where you want to go, and a plan on how to do it. Hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Just go to the link at the bottom and read through it (it's not mine just a sample from the inter webs). I'm not saying it needs to be any where as nice as this one, but it will give you an idea of what you want to do. Business plans lay out most of everything you need to know about your own business. This allows you to have a clear idea of where you want to go, and a plan on how to do it. Hope that helps.

I don't see a link bud.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I got in a hurry to leave and forgot to put in my last post.

http://www.bplans.com/lawn_and_garde...p#.UivDtMaTgfU
Old 09-07-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if they ask you to skip then just skip. mow it the same way as usual the next cut. if it looks bad then it looks bad. it's the customer's fault for skipping, not yours. they can't blame you for something that's not your fault. it will look better on the next cut you do. if they keep calling and asking you to skip all of the time then you move them to a bi weekly schedule and tell them the price will be higher and raise the price on them.