Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Or just scrap it for empire.
That is on the table and the Home owner is prepared to do it if needed, but I figure why not play with it and try to solve the puzzle (if possible) before resorting to the drastic measure of replacing.

Deep in my heart especially after talking to Ric from Greg's company above I am thinking that is going to be the only option, however Ric stated that he they did not get much time to study it as the person who installed it in the areas they were concered with replaced it with empire very soon.

The positive news is he said that they put some down at the shop to play with and two years later with no attention etc etc these test plots look better than ever, so maybe it is honestly it is just a time issue to get it established?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Yep, time apparently will help ... but who can wait several years for establishment?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Talked to one of Gregg's ( post #2 ) partners today to try to figure out there experience with ultimate flora zoysia. As stated above it was not good. Rooting issues seem to be a concern. After discussing with Gregg's partner Ric today his experience and what I have seen on this turf the last couple of week, I have giving up on regular routine FL watering schedule. The turf in full sun especially seems to be in drought stress on every visit.
Rooting depth or establishment of any root system seems to be the common factor. SO my line of thought is this.....if the root system is not there...why water like it is? What good does twice weekly watering deeply do if the root system is not there? I kicked the irrigation system on for daily waterings. Lets see if the grass responds well to this treatment. I figure we have established it does not have a good root system, is being reel cut like a golf course....why not try watering it like one and see what the result is.
if sod has not put down deep roots, it does not make sense to water it only twice a week. Was that rule made by a lawn hater? If I or any other professional set irrigation for only twice a week on sod that has not grabbed the ground, we would be looking at a sod replacement at our expense and that is if we were not kicked off the property for incompetence. I set the irrigation to apply an inch of water per week on a twice a day cycle until the sod is rooted. This is based on an ET for our region of about an inch per week and no rain. Then the irrigation is reduced to once per day and finally down to 2-3 times per week. This happens gradually. Grass on almost pure sand will need to be watered 3 x per week. I can stretch it to once a week on poorly drained clay. Of course, there is no need to do this if it is raining an inch or more per week. Then again, be careful of cloudy, low light conditions. Zoysia needs both sun and water to grow. I have seen zoysia refuse to take when there is no sun and constant rain for days on end. It is also possible to over water zoysia sod as well. That happens when there is no concept of what the irrigation system is putting out vs how much the grass needs according to ET.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

question

I have someone in S Florida with a very small backyard that thinks he wants a variety of Zoysia called Zeon (he actually just wants a golf course backyard). I don't see many people selling this variety and actually haven't found it yet in S Florida. His contention for wanting this variety is that it has a fine texture and is shade tolerant. His backyard only gets about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight and 4-5 hours of indirect sunlight through tall, very well trimmed Live Oak trees. The rest of the time, it's in the shade of his townhouse.

With that little light, almost any grass is going to have trouble growing (right now it's just weeds). I'm not sure what to recommend at this point. Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeiler View Post
I have someone in S Florida with a very small backyard that thinks he wants a variety of Zoysia called Zeon (he actually just wants a golf course backyard). I don't see many people selling this variety and actually haven't found it yet in S Florida. His contention for wanting this variety is that it has a fine texture and is shade tolerant. His backyard only gets about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight and 4-5 hours of indirect sunlight through tall, very well trimmed Live Oak trees. The rest of the time, it's in the shade of his townhouse.

With that little light, almost any grass is going to have trouble growing (right now it's just weeds). I'm not sure what to recommend at this point. Any ideas?
I wouldn't put down any sod with that little light...i would landscape it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
I wouldn't put down any sod with that little light...i would landscape it.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's going to be a tough sell. But I won't install grass if it's not going to last. I did drive around the development and noticed grass (st augustine) underneath similar trees that are shading his backyard. The only difference is that the more lush grass under these trees have direct sunlight both in the morning and evening. The grass in the more shaded areas around the development is thin, but still nice. There is a small area of his (already small) backyard that may actually get 2+ hours of direct sunlight. Maybe this can be nice grass and the rest landscaped. I'm still back to my question of what grass will do best in low light. At this point, I may even try to direct him to st augustine (which he hates) if that's what's best.

Tags
empire , florida , panhandle , ultimate , zoysia