Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I have one $30 account. It is two small islands in a commercial parking lot. Takes 15-20 min. to push mow, trim, and edge while taking my time.

Your work looks great but for $30!!?? No wonder your competion rushed. He has to mow 20 of those $30 lawns per day just to make a living...
I'm a one man show. I make as little as $30, and as much as $225 for a 2.5 acre lot, and I am considered expensive around here.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
I'm a one man show. I make as little as $30, and as much as $225 for a 2.5 acre lot, and I am considered expensive around here.
I just saw your earlier post. Your out of there in 20-25 min. so $30 is about right.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
And just for reference. I am a one man show, my labor rate is only $65 an hour, and I do that lot in 20-25-minutes (cut, trim, edge, blow). He was done in 10, and is also a 1-man show.
Like others on here I don't see a big difference between the lawns. You're charging 30 and he's charging 30 and he's finished first, he's making more money because he's doing a 30 dollar job, you're doing a 40 dollar job for 30 bucks.

Also being a one man show doesn't matter... If you mow a lawn in 30 minutes with one guy (solo) and mow the same property in 15 minutes with two guys it's still half an hour of billable man hours.

Last edited by SaberLawnCare; 09-07-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious the comments were defamatory in nature, but maybe it's just me
You are correct. Slander and defamation with specific pics and reference to the company name.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would suggest a $35 minimum fee no matter what. just an idea.

i do have one for $30 but it takes me 5-10min. everything else is $40 and up.

if you are getting $225 for a 2 1/2 acre yard you are robbing them blind if they pay that much. lol

i do one that size and i get $125 for it. takes about 2 1/2 hrs to do it. edge, mow, trim, blow.

it seems you are doing the opposite of what i do but hey if you can get them to pay you that much on the bigger yards then go for it. i make more money on smaller yards. the bigger yards tend to not wanna pay as much around where i live.

i have one i do for $35 and i'm done in 30min or less. another i do for $40 that takes about the same amount of time.

i do have one i do that takes 1 1/2 hrs and they pay me $120. i think i make the most profit on that yard. some people are just willing to pay more than others. gotta get the money where you can to make up for the others that don't really wanna pay that much. have your limits though. i only go so low or i pass on the job.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would put in applications to every car manufacturer in the greater Detroit and surrounding areas. Your not gonna beat the lowballing market there. No way no how unless your debt free...
Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Stripes You guys up north and your stripes.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCL Services View Post
Stripes You guys up north and your stripes.
LoL I don't understand the stripes either. Be doing this for 20 years. I mow around 60-65 lawns a week. I have never had 1 customer ask for stripes or perfect lines. All my customers want is a good trim job and a even cut. I had a guy stop me one time and say excuse me sir how do you get those pimp lines. I said what? He said those pimp lines you know stripes. Lmao umm It is just the way the mower lays the grass over. I could care less about stripes all I care about is the that my Benjamin Franklins have the stripe woven in the bill.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Speed doesn't equate to a crappy job, most of the time just the oppsite.

I cant believe some of the prices in here, and Im considered a lowballer outcast
Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Couldn't agree with Victorsaur more and I think you could have gotten your point across more tactfully than posting your advertisement and naming your competition like that. You sound like a good guy so hate to see you flirting with a legal tort. The only guys I have it out for are the fly-by-nighters with no insurance, taxes etc. They damage the reputation of our business and delegitimize competition. That said, the free market is the free market and alls fair if playing by the same rules. I get better results trimming last and also don't understand the striping.