Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Underinsured Landscapers doing tree work

I see it all the time, a Landscaping business under bids me on a job. Open the newspaper to see that landscaper sueing the homeowner because he had not had the right kind of insurance when they miscalculated which way the tree would fall. Straight through the house. Get insurance for tree work or stick to mowing grass.http://douglastreeservices.com

I provide detailed insurance coverage to all potential customers and advise them to do the same.

Specialization is the key, tree removal is a very dangerous undertaken and should not be left too an inexperienced person. I wouldn't let my plumber do my tree, so I certainly wouldn't let my landscaper do it unless he showed me he was certified.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone who asks me to do any tree removal gets referred to a local tree removal service unless its a lone tree in the middle of a wide open field no where near any buildings or any other structure
Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should have taken pictures of my neighbors tree removal project. Probably would change people's mind on trimming or removing trees with electric lines in the working area without the right equipment. When I went down to see what was on fire, I only looked for a couple seconds and then tossed my cookies... not a pretty sight...
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Why would the landscaper be sueing the homeowner?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipfert View Post
Why would the landscaper be sueing the homeowner?
I'm sure it was a typo. With that said, I have zero sympathy for a homeowner who hires someone without checking out there qualifications and insurance first.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasTreeService View Post
I see it all the time, a Landscaping business under bids me on a job. Open the newspaper to see that landscaper sueing the homeowner because he had not had the right kind of insurance when they miscalculated which way the tree would fall. Straight through the house. Get insurance for tree work or stick to mowing grass.http://douglastreeservices.com

I provide detailed insurance coverage to all potential customers and advise them to do the same.

Specialization is the key, tree removal is a very dangerous undertaken and should not be left too an inexperienced person. I wouldn't let my plumber do my tree, so I certainly wouldn't let my landscaper do it unless he showed me he was certified.
this really quite funny, because around me when tree guys get slow, they like to take work from landscapers and under bid us....damn tree guys need to stick to cutting down tree's not stealing mulch jobs and shrub pruning jobs from landscapers. I took a look on your website and you would actually cut down and chip the brush and remove the wood from a 100ft red oak for 1,400 then pay sales tax on that, then have to most likely pay another 25% or maybe higher federal tax on that money, on top of paying your guys, and all your other costs. Are you crazy? I really get confused when I see tree company's working all day to put less then 1,000 dollars in there pocket. why work so cheap, your hurting yourself. why take such a risk for such little money....I do tree work, and have insurance for it. I pick and choose since it's not my only source of income and surely don't cut down 100ft red oaks for 1400....that's only a few hundred away from working for the same money alcoholics and crack heads do tree work for....literally guys who do crack cut down trees for the same prices as you are. they don't use bucket trucks, they climb but at the end of the day and in the morning you see them at the package right when they open.

that crab apple tree was 200 including grinding the stump but it was a 6" stump cut 1/2" above ground so it took about 30 seconds to grind and the homeowner cleaned it up. that tree is only 12' tall. Is the equipment you use cheap to you? looks like you have a 70' bucket truck which is probably 80k used. I know the stihl ms660's are about 1200-1400 depending on dealer, and the ms201t are 600 I have two of those. the saws aren't crazy money. but all together between a chipper, saws, ropes, bucket truck, stump grinder, dump trailer, dump truck, you could easily have 250,000 in equipment no issues.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Right after hurricane Ivan, in 2004, most tree services were covered up with work but the plumbers were sitting on their hands. This guy set up across the canal to do this topper. He finally got it down, but I was sitting with phone in hand ready to call 911. I'm pretty sure that he was insured as a plumber but I doubt his carrier would have covered claim on this job.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been postponing calling a tree man for my private residence. The dumb ass builder planted an oak about 15ft from the house. The room closest to the tree has a Yamaha Concert Grand piano in it. I have another oak on the other side that is just as big, but luckily further from the house.

I have kept up with pruning anything that can got with a small ladder just for appearance. These trees need some serious pruning and thinning by a real professional. Got 2 bids last year and you could tell both guys were in over there head. Hoping to find someone by the Spring.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
this really quite funny, because around me when tree guys get slow, they like to take work from landscapers and under bid us....damn tree guys need to stick to cutting down tree's not stealing mulch jobs and shrub pruning jobs from landscapers. I took a look on your website and you would actually cut down and chip the brush and remove the wood from a 100ft red oak for 1,400 then pay sales tax on that, then have to most likely pay another 25% or maybe higher federal tax on that money, on top of paying your guys, and all your other costs. Are you crazy? I really get confused when I see tree company's working all day to put less then 1,000 dollars in there pocket. why work so cheap, your hurting yourself. why take such a risk for such little money....I do tree work, and have insurance for it. I pick and choose since it's not my only source of income and surely don't cut down 100ft red oaks for 1400....that's only a few hundred away from working for the same money alcoholics and crack heads do tree work for....literally guys who do crack cut down trees for the same prices as you are. they don't use bucket trucks, they climb but at the end of the day and in the morning you see them at the package right when they open.

that crab apple tree was 200 including grinding the stump but it was a 6" stump cut 1/2" above ground so it took about 30 seconds to grind and the homeowner cleaned it up. that tree is only 12' tall. Is the equipment you use cheap to you? looks like you have a 70' bucket truck which is probably 80k used. I know the stihl ms660's are about 1200-1400 depending on dealer, and the ms201t are 600 I have two of those. the saws aren't crazy money. but all together between a chipper, saws, ropes, bucket truck, stump grinder, dump trailer, dump truck, you could easily have 250,000 in equipment no issues.

How long did it take you to cut down and remove that tree?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
How long did it take you to cut down and remove that tree?
Posted via Mobile Device
10 mins, and that was taking my sweet time...I cut it from the bottom, actually about 1ft up from the ground. then cut it into 4 pieces and cut the stump down about 1" from the grass, and I was done with that one. it was part of a job I did for a customer. I took down a super easy maple in the back yard that took about 1 hour to cut and clean up. and I took down another maple in the front yard that was a little more complicated. either way I had 8 hours into the whole job for a couple thousand almost entirely by myself. no bucket truck needed, no chipper. just me, my chainsaws, 7x14 dump trailer, a few dollars in mixed gas and a few hours on a wednesday, a few hours on a saturday and I finished up on sunday. also a 5/8th stable braid rigging rope with a breaking strength of 16,000lbs for lowering pieces of trees or pulling them over...

Tags
tree service