Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I don't know, there is a lot of times I would prefer a smaller skid than my 440 on projects.
So if you had a small skid steer too use only I bet you would wish it was bigger more than the 440 being smaller.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As to size, does anyone own a BC E32 or Kubota KKX91? What is the thought about buying one of these over say a 35 sized machine with zero or conv. tail? I also question the purpose of a 27 sized machine? Almost same footprint as a 35 just with reduced capacity (and granted a little less weight). On the surface though I see no reason for a 32 or 91 but maybe I am missing something?

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
As to size, does anyone own a BC E32 or Kubota KKX91? What is the thought about buying one of these over say a 35 sized machine with zero or conv. tail? I also question the purpose of a 27 sized machine? Almost same footprint as a 35 just with reduced capacity (and granted a little less weight). On the surface though I see no reason for a 32 or 91 but maybe I am missing something?
I owned a jd 27c for a few years. It was a quick, reliable, and capable little machine. I actually think the machine was pretty useful for city lots where tight spaces are the norm. I think one reason they are popular is that you can stay under the 10K trailer weight limit.

I've also heard good things of the KX191. This from an owner that also had a 057.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Ksss I own a bobcat e32 I went with the 32 over the 35 because width is a big factor in what I do.. 5' wide the e32 fits in most places
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't most 35 sized machines also 5' wide?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Aren't most 35 sized machines also 5' wide?
More like 5'8"
Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I rented an IHI 35NX earlier this spring that really impressed me. First time having run an IHI, I had it for a week doing a landscape renovation. An 8,500 pound machine with the reach of damn near a 50 size machine and an expanding undercarriage that'll put you into places only a 27 would go and then open up to a 40-45 size width for stability. One hell of a machine, very fast on all functions, and again, the reach was absolutely superb. I loved it, run a lot of gear big and small over the years and that beat to hell 1,500 hour rental machine really burned a mark in the top 5 list for me. If I was in the market for a machine, I wouldn't count out IHI whatsoever. Not a fancy machine but it's very Takeuchi-like in the sense of utilitarian, Japanese get it done, no nonsense. Real efficient on fuel as well, it was an older unit and I believe it was running a Yanmar diesel if I remember correctly.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had real good luck with my IHI. They don't get the press that the big names get at least in North America, but my IHI just quietly made me money. Mine had an Isuzu in it and it didn't have the expandable undercarriage (some have extenda hoes on them as well). Pretty cool excavator. The Compact Excavator Sales in Etown, Ky brought me down to tour their plant and run an 80 when I was in the market. Good people and I got great support from them.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the 27/35 size is much like the 160/200 comparison. Generally speaking a 160 will move the same about of dirt as a 200. 160s are a bit narrower and a bit lighter to move around. Little less per hour and a little less to purchase. I have a 27D and it uses the same buckets the 35 does. its got a few inches less reach and a little tippier but i hardly notice a difference when swinging dirt, compared to a 35D. Im happy with 27d, but my opinion might change if i end up getting a hoe pack to drive fence posts and need the stability with the extra weight on the end of the boom.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by t190 View Post
I think the 27/35 size is much like the 160/200 comparison. Generally speaking a 160 will move the same about of dirt as a 200. 160s are a bit narrower and a bit lighter to move around. Little less per hour and a little less to purchase. I have a 27D and it uses the same buckets the 35 does. its got a few inches less reach and a little tippier but i hardly notice a difference when swinging dirt, compared to a 35D. Im happy with 27d, but my opinion might change if i end up getting a hoe pack to drive fence posts and need the stability with the extra weight on the end of the boom.
Interesting comparison. I run a 160 mostly because I can pull a 160 on a triple axle tag and a 4 axle dump truck but its maxed as it is, a 200 is out of the question.

But why would you run the 27 when you could run a 35 and be that much more productive for only another 1500 pounds or so, and because the 35 is the most popular size, I would think that your resale would be stronger on the 35 than the 27 (I only suspect that, cant prove it).