Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Well I can't make your decision for you, but go with your gut is all I can say. If it were me, I would be picking up the mbk23 with the 48" mulch deck. Maybe a 52" sd deck with mulch kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think the MBK 23 is what I will end up with. I already have a 42" mulch deck. Haven't considered a SD since most of my yards have some tight areas that can't have grass blown in the beds. But it would be nice to have on the big rough yards.

I may end up taking the mulch kit off the Toro GS and use it as a SD and maybe add a bagger for scalping and heavy leaves. I just can't see paying $14k for the GHS. Thanks for all the help. Will post an update when I get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR840 View Post
I think the MBK 23 is what I will end up with. I already have a 42" mulch deck. Haven't considered a SD since most of my yards have some tight areas that can't have grass blown in the beds. But it would be nice to have on the big rough yards.

I may end up taking the mulch kit off the Toro GS and use it as a SD and maybe add a bagger for scalping and heavy leaves. I just can't see paying $14k for the GHS. Thanks for all the help. Will post an update when I get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds good man, good luck with your decision!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I was going through the same thought process as you are right now a few months ago. I have a GHS machine as well and sold my Exmark to find something that could fit in all of my gates.

I ended up going with the MBK 23 EFI 48 inch mulch deck. Let me tell you I love this machine. It does an awesome job and I can't tell a difference between the cut this leaves compared to my GHS. The machine does great on hills, much faster than the GHS and quality of cut is just the same. In tall wet grass you might have to double cut, but the second cut goes very fast and I'd much rather cut it twice than bag it. No clippings to deal with at the end of the day. The deck will actually load up with wet grass before it leaves a bunch of clumps on the yard. Just be sure to keep the deck clean in wet conditions. I paid $8,000 before taxes for the machine and deck.

I'm now wondering what to do with the GHS. I need it for scalping some yards in the Spring and for some leaf collection in the Fall, but other than that it's a backup. I'm thinking about next season just getting another 48 inch mulch deck for my GHS unit. If you have any other questions I'll try and answer them, but this has been the best mower I've had so far.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccoy1 View Post
I was going through the same thought process as you are right now a few months ago. I have a GHS machine as well and sold my Exmark to find something that could fit in all of my gates.

I ended up going with the MBK 23 EFI 48 inch mulch deck. Let me tell you I love this machine. It does an awesome job and I can't tell a difference between the cut this leaves compared to my GHS. The machine does great on hills, much faster than the GHS and quality of cut is just the same. In tall wet grass you might have to double cut, but the second cut goes very fast and I'd much rather cut it twice than bag it. No clippings to deal with at the end of the day. The deck will actually load up with wet grass before it leaves a bunch of clumps on the yard. Just be sure to keep the deck clean in wet conditions. I paid $8,000 before taxes for the machine and deck.

I'm now wondering what to do with the GHS. I need it for scalping some yards in the Spring and for some leaf collection in the Fall, but other than that it's a backup. I'm thinking about next season just getting another 48 inch mulch deck for my GHS unit. If you have any other questions I'll try and answer them, but this has been the best mower I've had so far.
AWESOME!!!!! I am glad to hear first hand how it performs. I am confident it will be a good choice for me. I have a used 42" mulch deck, but wondering if the 42 and 48 perform differently other than the width of the cut.

That is a good price.... I have called several dealers and all are $7350 for tractor and $2230 for 42" deck before taxes. I am thinking of going in and offering a little lower to see if they will do it.

Do you know if the arm rests and light kit would be worth the money? And also how can I tell I I'm buying a 2013 model and not an older stocked model they couldn't sell? Serial number tell me that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Sent you a PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there CurbAppealKS, didn't mean to call you out there bud.... Just trying to make a point and give my opinion... The fact is, Walker lovers were having this problem before the MB's were just a sparkle in Dean's eye..... Of course, throughout different parts of the country (and now the world) folks have different needs for dispersal or collection. Sure, Walker has always offered the strictly SD machine but the point is that the whole MB lineup is at a better price point right?
And BCR840...... I'm confused...... I thought you were having trouble deciding which machine to go with right? Not sure how long you have in the industry or how much Walker experience you have but I was simply trying to shed light on the fact that taking care of the clippings from the Walker hopper is not a day long process akin to climbing Mt. Everest as some on this site would have you believe. And to be perfectly honest, the guy that came to give you the demo is exactly correct by saying that you should have an MB and a GHS on your trailer at all times. But what he failed to tell you and what I am saying now is that this can be accomplished by running a GHS and keeping an SD deck on the trailer.... Sure, the MB's are awesome... I personally wish that I could have one of every Walker model there is (including the walk behind, that thing is so cute) However, putting a SD deck on the GHS takes all of 5 minutes and there is your MB right there for a fraction of the cost. But either way good luck and have fun, it's super exciting getting a new machine.....
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Hey there CurbAppealKS, didn't mean to call you out there bud.... Just trying to make a point and give my opinion... The fact is, Walker lovers were having this problem before the MB's were just a sparkle in Dean's eye..... Of course, throughout different parts of the country (and now the world) folks have different needs for dispersal or collection. Sure, Walker has always offered the strictly SD machine but the point is that the whole MB lineup is at a better price point right?
And BCR840...... I'm confused...... I thought you were having trouble deciding which machine to go with right? Not sure how long you have in the industry or how much Walker experience you have but I was simply trying to shed light on the fact that taking care of the clippings from the Walker hopper is not a day long process akin to climbing Mt. Everest as some on this site would have you believe. And to be perfectly honest, the guy that came to give you the demo is exactly correct by saying that you should have an MB and a GHS on your trailer at all times. But what he failed to tell you and what I am saying now is that this can be accomplished by running a GHS and keeping an SD deck on the trailer.... Sure, the MB's are awesome... I personally wish that I could have one of every Walker model there is (including the walk behind, that thing is so cute) However, putting a SD deck on the GHS takes all of 5 minutes and there is your MB right there for a fraction of the cost. But either way good luck and have fun, it's super exciting getting a new machine.....
No offense taken bud, we were both shedding light on the issue for him. Just going about it a different way. The older mtsd's are awesome machines. I thought about one, but the mb's come in at a better price point like you said so what's the need lol. Maybe one of these days I'll have a shiny new yellow mb.
Posted via Mobile Device