Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizer help

so i do business in Mass and have not done much fertilization before and people want me to do some in the fall what type of fertilizer should i put down in the fall and when

also whats the best way to deal with crab grass and when should i fertilize other times of the year and what should i use then

please help
thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I answered a similar question here about 90 min ago. May be some info there you can use.

Re: crabgrass, use you education, license, and experience...or just wait for a couple hard frosts to take it out and you'll look like a genius to your customers.

Good luck and be careful.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The most important fertilizer application for cool-season grasses is the "Winterizer" applied in the Fall of the year... Often it is a mixture of N and K...

For our area the Winterizer should be put down before mid-Oct. so that the grass can utilize it in preparation for the Winter... There should not be residual that starts with fresh N feedings in the Spring so it is best NOT to use a slow release formula this time of year... Next Spring after the 2nd Mowing is the time to apply N again and slow-release is fine for that time of year... After the heat of Summer has past,,, hopefully by mid-August it may be safe to apply some fertilizer about that time...

There will be a lot of disagreement over this schedule becuz a tradition of Sales, sales, and sales has been put in place by the TGCL types rather than doing what is right for cool-season grasses...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

any specific brands you would recommend?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not really big on Brand Names... I suspect that a 1 lbs. of N in one bag is as good as a lbs. of N in another bag...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Response to Hemlock Landscape

Right here in mid-Michigan, we have been very successful using straight urea 40-0-0 (no specific brand) for fall application. We apply granular urea just before we have our irrigation gets winterized, and water it in. We deal with pre-emergent apps in the spring when the Forsythia bloom to control our crabgrass. Our 180+ acres that we maintain is nearly always the first to green up in the spring. I'm no expert, but this has worked for us for many years. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome aboard. With that many acres under care we could use (welcome) your input here on other topics.

Tags
crabgrass , fertilization , fertilizing