Register free!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

herbicide to use on 10 acres?

Got a call today to quote 10 acre plot that was seeded 7/21/13. 45% Brome 20% Tall Fescue 20% Per. Rye 15% Climax Timothy (not sure what that is) seeded at 25lbs per acre. 350 pd / acre fert at 13-13-13 rate.

I use trimic 1000. Is that ok? Kinda second guessing myself after having worm / brown spots throughout yard. So I gotta ask you guys!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Any of these amine thpe products will advise you to not apply to newly sprigged or seeded plots until these areas have been mowed at least twice.
Seedling germination will be effected dramatically.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Climax Timothy Grass I see is a leafy, fine stemmed tall bunch grass - - makes for good forage like hay quality. Yes I google it. I have not seen a label though on weed control on that grass. Weeds are out of control on this 10 acres and they want to get it the point where a farmer can come in and cut it, bale it and keep it weed free.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Seed is or has come up nicely. Mowable --maybe but weeds are 2-4ft high and look horrible which is why they want control of some sort.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is 25 lbs per acre a typo? Seems very low seed rate.

I'd wait til it has been mowed a few times before spraying.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a job for a weed wipe. More of an ag job than what most of us are set up for.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Seed is or has come up nicely. Mowable --maybe but weeds are 2-4ft high and look horrible which is why they want control of some sort.
If you are using lawn care equipment than you will need to cut the weeds first than let them leaf out. you need to be above what you are spraying. another thought a lot of weeds that grow in hay field will not kill easy this time of year they have stopped growing and are in the seed stage. weeds like milk weed will not be killed by herbicides the best thing to do there is to keep them mowed off. Just some thoughts

Charles Cue
Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the spray equipment but I told them as well to knock it down but lets this company that owns the "back field" has an image quality showmanship type of attitude. They own 26 acres. Shop is 2 acres. We manicure the front 4 acres. So the back area is an eye soar to them. I thought knock it down, spray next season but if you guru's suggested one thing or another I would have go with it and then sell the owner on it!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not going to be a one time thing and it's fixed, you need to sell the on that for sure. I agree with all 4 people who have responded. I would add that I would avoid esters on such a wide open area and as high as you will have to set your boom. Off target drift scares me but I live in an area with many farms (apples, grapes, and tomatoes are especially sensitive). This could be an interesting project.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Amines and esters will drift equally if you are talking about spray mist. Esters have a second factor of vaporizing and that vapor moving down wind to damage sensitive plants. High humidity, combined with high temperatures and no wind is extremely hazardous. You run the risk of creating a cloud of 2.4-D vapor that can permeate a large area. Grapes and tomatoes are especially sensitive. Metsulfuron is a very effective herbicide for pastures and hayfields. Observe the rate limitations on cool season grasses. 2,4-D will antidote some of the negative effects on the cool season grass as well as speed up injury to the weeds. However, if metsulfuron drifts, it is nasty. Most broadleaf crops are sensitive. I use all air inducted nozzles when applying broadleaf herbicides. No straight cut flat fans or flood jets. I will put an air induction venturi behind a flood jet if I want a boomless pattern. The rare day that it is hot, humid, and windless in Hawaii is a no spray day. I want 5-10 MPH not blowing towards desirable vegetation.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738