Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Angies List- Over rated

Have built a successful lawn care & landscape business in the Indianapolis area over the last 18 years but always looking to grow business. Signed up with Angies List(reluctantly) after doing follow up work from competitors who had been award winning AL members, but dropped the ball on quality of work . But after 2 months no leads from Angies List....are they a joke or only refer certain companies?? 2 of my employees formerly worked for AL award winning companies who are close to being out of buusiness...what gives? thoughts??
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The idea is nice and I got a few calls but wasn't worth what I spent to get the few jobs that came from it.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I thought Angie's list was free?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllProLC View Post
Have built a successful lawn care & landscape business in the Indianapolis area over the last 18 years but always looking to grow business. Signed up with Angies List(reluctantly) after doing follow up work from competitors who had been award winning AL members, but dropped the ball on quality of work . But after 2 months no leads from Angies List....are they a joke or only refer certain companies?? 2 of my employees formerly worked for AL award winning companies who are close to being out of buusiness...what gives? thoughts??
How many reviews have you gotten? From what I understand that is what it is all about. You have to fetch reviews from AL members. Non members can still review but I dont think it means a thing. I am about to call my account rep at AL and see what kind of cost it will be. Also I know of many companys that thrive because of AL but I'm not sure about landscaping companys. In indy the market is so saturated that it isn't hard to find an lawn care company. I'm thinking that's why a lot of them dont use Al
I would love to hear some other experiences.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I thought Angie's list was free?
It is free to have your name on there and get reviews. They also build advertising campaigns that cost.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't agree with the methods of those companies. IMHO its a scam. Service Magic and Yelp are the same way. For anyone curious about Yelp, go to www.yelp-sucks.com and learn about lawsuits. Also do a google search for "business owners against yelp". You'd be shocked what comes up.

I never understood the point of AL. I signed up and right away they wanted $$ for advertising, or mailing me lists. I paid for a list of new homeowners in my area and never got it, so I called to cancel my account. After reading more about them, it seems to be the usual "the more you pay the more you get" tactic. In the end that tends to be "We're sorry your not getting enough leads. Have you thought about changing your ad?"

The internet has changed the way people look at marketing. The hardest part is trying to sort through the crap companies.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a good experience with AL, but the number of referrals was somewhat small. In my second year doing home inspections a guy gave me an AL review that was really favorable. AL sent me an email and, of course, wanted me to give them money for better ad placement - which I never did. I got 5, or so, referrals from them every year. The good part was that the referrals were for larger homes and there was no salesmanship needed on my part - the AL reviews did all the talking. It seems to build - one guy reviews you, then another finds you there, uses you, and gives a review. I think the key is to go out of your way for the AL referrals and it will build over time. Its like a sales pyramid. And it takes time, I guess.

You could speed the process. Pay for your current clients to join AL and give you a great referral.
"Bubba mows my yard like a champ, he sweet talks my ugly wife, and he fetches my golf balls on Sundays. He's like part of the family."

I never paid AL, though, and I never looked into the benefits of paying them.

It always was high end homes and when I asked "how'd you find me" and the answer was AL I always gave a higher price. A normal realtor referral on a 6,000 sq ft home would be 800, but for an AL referral it would be 1200. They seemed to like that they were paying more -
paying the Mercedes price -
it must be better, 'cause it costs more, mentality.

Last edited by rootytalbot; 09-12-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: improper use of an adverb
Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scam! It is like the BBB, another scam.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I can tell you it is certinanly not a scam. Cheesy sales maybe but here in Indianapolis where they are located every major service provider is in AL and benifits greatly from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyWalker View Post
It is free to have your name on there and get reviews. They also build advertising campaigns that cost.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very true about the reviews. The more you get the higher you climb up their ladder