Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

start hanging lights next week. so much to do!

we will be hanging lights next monday. The new season is upon us and as always, I have gotten a lot done but have a ton left to do. finally getting around to ordering the printing of some new postcards we had designed back in the spring, and will get the first batches mailed out on Oct. 1 or so. still need to buy another route vehicle or two, mainly to relegate some of my older rigs to backup status. am shooting for a used dodge sprinter for around 10k. we will see if that pans out. still need to get uniforms and jackets squared away, and graphics touched up on a few box vans.

need to keep my eyes on craigslist periodically for used pallet rack beams, as I have some uprights that I need to add on to existing pallet racks. I am going to rework my older shop space so I need to get more pallet racks up on the newer side this year to move stuff out of the older side.

need to order some clips tomorrow to supplement what we have in stock, it always catches me by surprise when my guys are out of one clip or another in the 2nd week of hanging lights. but we are good to go for the first week.

we are still doing landscape lighting and some other landscape projects that pay, but we need to wrap them up this week and next.

and I need some sleep. good night all.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! already going out..that is awesome...I am actually just sending out my renewals this week. I figure to start to hang those second to third week. We will do follow up calls end of next week to get things going. I am still small compared to some of you guys but we are getting there. I look forward to a great season and looking for a lot chatter on the forum. Cheers
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Early order deliveries have started coming in. Prepping warehouse. Putting schedules together.

Trying to be prepared but it never seems like we are ready. Installs start in 2 weeks!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

dude, I have no idea how you start in 2 weeks and get finished. I need all my guys trained and fully up to speed on Nov. 1. It seems the first week back on sept 15ish we are figuring everything out- what to load, tools to bring, ordering clips, etc. after going for a month now we have 5 guys going and worked out a lot of the kinks and are starting to really pick up speed. Christmas Light Olympics is next Saturday for 3-4 more guys, and I have one more previous employee to activate next week. And even with all that, I am not ever sure if I am ready on Nov. 1.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I missed this post last week.

We just bumped our schedule up a week. Starting Monday.

It seems crazy but we will have all of our existing customers up by Thanksgiving! At least the ones that want it, I have 1 crew booked for the first week of December already because of client requests. One install on December 13th by request!

My guys have been with me for 4-5 years now so they get back up to speed pretty quickly. Prepping a 4th truck for this season, hopefully the work keeps coming in and we can fill it.

Friendly reminder to everyone...
Thanksgiving is a week later this year than last year! Less time to install after Thanksgiving..

Good luck all.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started this past Sunday, going full tilt so to speak starting this weekend. Meetings scheduled for upgrades. Multiple orders arriving in the next couple days, have to stock wharehouse and the truck. Where did the year go??
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm on the smaller side of things..postcards are going out at the end of next week. Putting my initial order in this week for goods and starting Re-hangs on or about the 1st then let the games begin. We are still wrapping up mowing, landscapes and cleanups...and lights lol. I am glad I have two crews going..my one crew has been with me since the start so they are hitting the lighting...lets getem
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just received my 10,000 post card order today so will be filling out EDDM paperwork to get them out soon. Placed an order yesterday for some clips and odds and ends. Have sold a few wreaths to existing customers so I have them ordered. Had huge luck this season on early bird letters I sent out. Half of my customers sent them back with payment so that was nice. Still need to go out in the next few days and pick up a new box trailer. We start hanging the 1st week of Nov.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

We start installing returning customers tomorrow afternoon. Picking the towable lift up tomorrow morning and full blast from then on.

I sold a $10K job two weeks ago from a customer referral. My biggest yet. Can't wait to get that one up and get some good photos.

I'm very excited about this season and hope all goes well for everyone!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that is a great hit to start off with .. We started today with our rehangs. I'm looking forward to this season. I doubled down on postcards and materials compared to last year so we shall see.