Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And yes it is profit that matters. Here is the real question.
Do you want to make 60% of $100,000 or 15% of 3,000,000?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
very good point. that's why I made this thread I wanna see what others opinions are. good point sir
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You can NEVER net more than you gross. Never.

So if you want to make $200k a year you can't get there on $20,000, 30,000 or 40,000 a month gross. You have to both gross $50,000 plus AND manage well to make a decent living. I have a hard time making more than 20% so I need to grow to a million plus a year. I have been servicing swimming pools for four years and am halfway there. Should take about two more years. I'll let you know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chem costs are what kill us pool guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a house with a pool a few yrs back, had a pool guy come over and show me the ropes, now I take care of the pool on my own, pool guy said he would take care of the pool for 250 a month, seemed a lil high to me, what are u pool guys here charging for pool maintenance per month ?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwin30 View Post
I bought a house with a pool a few yrs back, had a pool guy come over and show me the ropes, now I take care of the pool on my own, pool guy said he would take care of the pool for 250 a month, seemed a lil high to me, what are u pool guys here charging for pool maintenance per month ?
It varies wildly from one area to the next. Around here 150-160 a month.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
I know everyone (most) determines success off of how many accounts someone has. so and so has 3000 fert and weed control accounts. so and so has 5k weed control accounts.... Why does this matter? I get the logic, the more accounts the bigger money you make. We bill 50k a month! wow hes making money. Say you take someone with 800 accounts. 2 paid off trucks and equipment working out of their garage. Do the books themselves and answer their own phone and owner runs one truck. employee runs the other. OR you take a company with 3000 accounts. Has a warehouse 6 employees all the utilities for the warehouse workman comp blah blah blah. Truck payments.... So from the outside the guy with 3k accounts looks like hes "made it" right? but has he paying all those people to work and all the warehouse payment and extra payments truck payments.... ect... but that guy running out of his garage with 800 accounts all trucks paid for very well could be making more money. plus Anyone could go get accounts. go cut the market in half with your prices. you could gain as many as you want. I get there's successful companys making bank but everyone always says the bigger the more money. I don't find this true in every situation.

the other day I rode past where someone lives he has 3600 accounts. He lives in a 130k house . Im not saying he doesn't make $$$. He probably is. he may have a house in the Bahamas for all I know BUT if you think about it what im saying could be true right?

Is bigger always better?
a higher client count makes one much more important on online forums. Its like the guy with the tallest truck on friday night in walmart's parking lot - he is obviously the coolest guy there.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It varies wildly from one area to the next. Around here 150-160 a month.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here. That's for a pool with an auto vac. I see some guys advertising for 60-75 a month. That's the pool service version of a scrub. There's a lot more to it than throwing in a couple of chlorine pucks and a dip net.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could bring in a million a year, but if it took you 999,000 to make that 1 million, your broke. I don't think it's the number of accounts. I think it's more about how much you make off each account. I see guys all the time around me, talk about they have 50-60 maintenance accounts but they have payments on their 50,000 truck, mower payments etc. then you have the guy with 30 accounts, everything is paid for and be is the only one doing the work, he is making more money. I think the trick is to grow slowly, pay cash for equipment as you need it, and you have to know your cost so that you can make a certain profit off each account. you would be in better shape to profit 100 dollars off 100 accounts per month verse 1 dollar off 1000 accounts per month. I may not have said that right but you get the point. You can't measure success by number of accounts. And anyways, everyone measures success differently. One person might be successful by living in a cardboard box and eating everyday while someone else may see success as living in a 6000 sqft home with a zo6 sitting in the garage working only two days a week. You have to figure out what type of lifestyle you want to live and find ways to make the money to support it. To hell with everyone else and how many accounts they have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
a higher client count makes one much more important on online forums. Its like the guy with the tallest truck on friday night in walmart's parking lot - he is obviously the coolest guy there.
Or the guy with the highest post count.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I think this post is a eye opener. I would want the 15% of 3mil. Why? Its sustainable without myself in the field daily. It would have staff so everything gets done if I'm gone for a week. You become a manager compared to the worker.

The 60% of $100k is a solo set up, maybe with a trim boy. The 15% of 3mil is a biz.

if the solo guy paid himself a wage of $40k a year. The profit is 20%. Take the biz out of his house and to small shop the profit would be lower then the 3 mil company.
Posted via Mobile Device