Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Moving to Myrtle Beach ....What type of grass is typical ?

I have been a long time lawnsite member but away for a while .....We are hoping to retire in Myrtle Beach next year .....What should a Maryland lawn guy know about the type of grass in SC ?

We have tall fescue up here ...I'm guessing bentgrass or bermuda may be the norm...any info would help ...

NO WORRIES probably only going to dabble in the pressure washing business part time....leaving the lawn care up here to my son
Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I retired and moved here from Maryland in 2005. Mostly centipede and St Augustine with a splash of Bermuda. No fescue. I purchased an existing small company and it's a great way to get started. Good way to meet a lot of people too. Good luck with your move.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply ....I look forward to getting the hell out of Maryland
Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffex View Post
Thanks for the reply ....I look forward to getting the hell out of Maryland
LOL. Can't say a blame you. I'm down in Murrells Inlet. It's a lot slower here compared to Myrtle Beach and night and day compared to Maryland. not a lot of money to be made here (service driven) but lawn care will greatly enhance your retirement income.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm selling out everything I have here and bringing my $$ with me..LOL

I just want something to do PT to keep me busy ...I hope I can entice my son to follow us down here and take over a business I start up ...We can hire out the Maryland work and he can have dual income streams ....

I did A FT job for 30 years and 25 of those I had a lawn and pressure washing business too ......ready to get a golf cart with a 6 pack holder and go to the beach !!!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you haven't purchased a home yet, research is your friend. I live east of 17 and insurance (hurricane and flood) is very high and going up every year. I'd imagine the same will happen if your close to the river. HOA fees can get crazy in a lot of neighborhoods as well as very strict. The better schools are around the Murrells Inlet area (Horry county). Overall great place to retire just be careful where you end up purchasing a home.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey russell, you still around murrells inlet? I have a small company operating in the darlington, sc area...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
Hey russell, you still around murrells inlet? I have a small company operating in the darlington, sc area...
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup. probably will be buried here one day. Lol. Been over to Darlington alot but haven't made it to a Nascar event yet. Maybe next year. Hope business is good for you. I know it is alot hotter their.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We checked out the insurance deal. Seems my wife isn't ready to make the move just yet but thanks for the info....

We are actually working to separate western Maryland from commie Maryland ...there are several new state initiatives that have begun ...Colorado being the furthest along in the process ...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Yup. probably will be buried here one day. Lol. Been over to Darlington alot but haven't made it to a Nascar event yet. Maybe next year. Hope business is good for you. I know it is alot hotter their.
I hear ya man. If you're familiar with the area, i'm actually located in hartsville... about 15 minutes from darlington, but most people know darlington because of nascar, so thats what i tell people. Business is growing man. In my 2nd full year, and my first year making money its been a heck of a ride getting to this point.

I love murrells inlet. I come there to fish a good bit. Considered moving there for a while, bur hartsville is home
Posted via Mobile Device