Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone do any interior demo?

I received a call from Foot locker (house of hoops) to demo the inside of one of their stores. It's a 5,332 sq. ft area inside a shopping mall.

It calls for:

Remove cashwrap/backwrap counter. All utilities to cashwrap shall be relocated. All existing conduits not used must be cut off below slab floor patched to match adjoining slab surface height.

Remove exisiting floor finish throughout existing sales area/passages and fitting rooms. Existing slab to remain. Provide smooth level surface and prepare surface for new finishes.

Remove existing partitions and doors/benchs

Existing toilet room to be modified to be ada compliant. Relocate existing toilet and wall partition. Patch and repair surfaces as required.

Existing electrical equipment and service to be removed in its entirety.

G.C to remove all existing wall/floor fixtures htroughout sales area, fitting rooms, and passages of both spaces.

Existing ceilign system remaings. All lighting throughout sales area / Passages / Fitting room spaces to be removed in their entirety.

Existing storefront to be removed in its entirety including glass, rolling grille, soffits, lighting, glazing, signage, etc to a mall bulkhead height of 11'-11"

Remove existing openings in wall.

All existing stockroom shelving / lighting to remain or be relocated.

Existing footlocker glazing and soffit to be removed up to height of 11'-0".

The challenge I see is that it's inside a mall, so removing the debris may be a challenge. If anyone has ever bid on this type of project, what would you suggest bidding on it?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If that is the scope of work you are bidding on, that is a lot more then demo
Old 09-12-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
If that is the scope of work you are bidding on, that is a lot more then demo

That was my concern as well, but I called a few minutes ago and they told me that I woulden't be relocating the walls, etc. So with just demo work, could you provide a price?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The pricing depends on some things that you don't list there... I bid some larger stores that never got built. They were old department stores and supermarkets so they were big.

Anyway, you need to know more info than that(you may know this and didn't list it)

Can work be performed any time or is it restricted to nights?
Do you have to use the malls waste disposal company or can you bring in your own cans(we own our own and couldn't)
What is the current floor covering and how clean does it need to be left(glue residues from carpet for instance)
Where can you place your dumpsters, close or in the way back parking lot?
Can you use gas powered tools?
Do you bring in your own electricians to do the disconnects or does the GC have things disconnected prior?

Like I said there are a few things that are not clear in this post. Real rough estimate though I was bidding 40,000(ish) Square foot stores for $68,000. I had to remove old fixtures and make it a bare box again for the new construction to start.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
That was my concern as well, but I called a few minutes ago and they told me that I woulden't be relocating the walls, etc. So with just demo work, could you provide a price?
No one could give you a price without seeing the site. For example:

Remove exisiting floor finish throughout existing sales area/passages and fitting rooms. Existing slab to remain. Provide smooth level surface and prepare surface for new finishes.

What is the existing floor finish and what is underneath the floor. Provide smooth level surface? This could take days of work if the floor is not level and needs a lot of patching. What are the new surfaces going in?

Existing toilet room to be modified to be ada compliant. Relocate existing toilet and wall partition. Patch and repair surfaces as required

Besides having to know the ADA requirements, which are a nightmare, there is no indication where the existing toilet is to be relocated.

This could be a $10,000 or a $50,000 and up job.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kepple brought up some very good points. I would ask the GC to specify that your work is removals only and what exactly is to be removed ( broken down into how many soft, linear ft , number of units etc) and also what type of equipment you can use.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepple Services View Post
The pricing depends on some things that you don't list there... I bid some larger stores that never got built. They were old department stores and supermarkets so they were big.

Anyway, you need to know more info than that(you may know this and didn't list it)

Do you have to use the malls waste disposal company or can you bring in your own cans(we own our own and couldn't)
What is the current floor covering and how clean does it need to be left(glue residues from carpet for instance)
Where can you place your dumpsters, close or in the way back parking lot?
Can you use gas powered tools?
Do you bring in your own electricians to do the disconnects or does the GC have things disconnected prior?

Like I said there are a few things that are not clear in this post. Real rough estimate though I was bidding 40,000(ish) Square foot stores for $68,000. I had to remove old fixtures and make it a bare box again for the new construction to start.

Thanks for the reply. I am e-mailing some questions to the construction manager and will answer these questions shortly. I'm figuring up that you was charging around 1.70 a square foot?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
No one could give you a price without seeing the site. For example:

What is the existing floor finish and what is underneath the floor. Provide smooth level surface? This could take days of work if the floor is not level and needs a lot of patching. What are the new surfaces going in?

Existing toilet room to be modified to be ada compliant. Relocate existing toilet and wall partition. Patch and repair surfaces as required

Besides having to know the ADA requirements, which are a nightmare, there is no indication where the existing toilet is to be relocated.

This could be a $10,000 or a $50,000 and up job.
That is what I am wondering as well, is if we are responsible for the bathrooms. We are suppose to just be bidding on removal only. II'll ask that too.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at the demo bid, and it stated that the restrooms must be modified to be ADA compliant. Since we are bidding on the removal/demo only, are we still responsible for this?

Take out walls in bathroom is all

Anytime

Do we have to use the malls waste disposal company or can we bring in our own?
Bring our own

What is the current floor covering and how clean does it need to be left?
Pretty sure its carpet, is not tile.

Where can we place the dumpsters, close to the project site or in the parking lot?
There is a service corridor beside the project site.

Can we use gas powered tools?
No

Do we bring in our own electricians or will the electric be disconnected prior?
Electrician will be there to handle all electrical

It also stated that we need to provide a smooth level surface and prepare for the new surface to be installed. Are we responsible for any patch work reguarding to leveling the surface after removing the old floor finish?

Clean, pick up excess glue

See's project taking 4-5 days.

All light fixtures are to be removed.

We have a 4 ton dump truck, but I think it would probaly be cheaper to rent a dumpster. If you were bidding on this project, what would you bid? Their wanting it started on next week ASAP.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
I was looking at the demo bid, and it stated that the restrooms must be modified to be ADA compliant. Since we are bidding on the removal/demo only, are we still responsible for this?

Take out walls in bathroom is all

Anytime

Do we have to use the malls waste disposal company or can we bring in our own?
Bring our own

What is the current floor covering and how clean does it need to be left?
Pretty sure its carpet, is not tile.

Where can we place the dumpsters, close to the project site or in the parking lot?
There is a service corridor beside the project site.

Can we use gas powered tools?
No

Do we bring in our own electricians or will the electric be disconnected prior?
Electrician will be there to handle all electrical

It also stated that we need to provide a smooth level surface and prepare for the new surface to be installed. Are we responsible for any patch work reguarding to leveling the surface after removing the old floor finish?

Clean, pick up excess glue

See's project taking 4-5 days.

All light fixtures are to be removed.

We have a 4 ton dump truck, but I think it would probaly be cheaper to rent a dumpster. If you were bidding on this project, what would you bid? Their wanting it started on next week ASAP.
Based on your description, I assume you are speaking with a GC and not Foot Locker. If you don't want to get burnt, give them a price per hour, with the stipulation that they provide dumpster and cost of debris dumping. If they need it done ASAP, sounds like they don't have any one else lined up