Register free!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need tips on caring for Hydrangeas.

Hi Folks,

I planted some Hydrangeas August 8th of this year and I am a little concerned about them. They get 6 hours morning sun, water from my drip line off my irrigation every 2 days for 45 minutes. They were Strawberry Vanilla Hydrangeas, They looked OK coming from the nursery but some of the flowers are turning brown and are crispy. Am I supposed to cut those off? I may have gotten some of my reading on them mixed up and I am scared to mess with them. I am also concerned about the yellow leaves and the brown spots. the yellow leaves are very minimal but the brown spots on the leaves are on every plant. Just looking for some good tips on caring for these plants going into the fall because I am a first timer with these.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fear not. A couple helpful links:

Growing Guide for Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea

Pruning Hydrangeas

I see you are on the edge of the recommended plant hardiness zone for hydrangeas. This probably means they will need more attention. For new plantings the most important thing is to do what needs to be done to ensure that next Spring they emerge from Winter in good health, ready to grow.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Fear not. A couple helpful links:

Growing Guide for Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea

Pruning Hydrangeas

I see you are on the edge of the recommended plant hardiness zone for hydrangeas. This probably means they will need more attention. For new plantings the most important thing is to do what needs to be done to ensure that next Spring they emerge from Winter in good health, ready to grow.
Reading that, I can just cut off the dead blooms correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. As far as I know that is true of any plant. Not to be a wiseass, once something is dead or well on its way, it is not coming back. Leaving blooms, branches, stems, etc. that are not growing could well be slowing the rest of the plant down. Those things are going to grow much, much bigger. You can easily remove 15-20% of the above ground parts every year and not oly be fine but probably help the plant. My $.02. I understand your concern but encourage you not to worry. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your soil is too wet or too dry or unevenly both,,, you may be cutting away dying parts on a regular basis... drip lines may be leaving large portions of the root zone,,,unwatered...
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I planted some this spring even before frost was over and I had some brown leaves and some that were frost damaged but they bloomed just fine, they bloomed like crazy but as summer wore on after the blooms matured they started to turn brown, wilt and die off.

I was questioning what to do just like you so I did some reading it's perfectly okay to pull off dead ones, I watered as needed throughout summer and low and behold new blooms started popping up after I pulled tons of dead ones off. The plant looked terrible due to the weak wood the blooms were weighing the plant down something terrible so after pulling off the dead ones it came back to life.

I will from now on pull off weak brown flowers so new ones can bloom. Here is what it looked like during early summer. I'm figuring the old flowers were sucking the life out of the plant it got much healthier after the old ones got removed.
Attached Images