Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

set-up of mulching mower?..

I use a 32" WB with a baffle on and a chute blocker. I got high lift blades the lowest they will go (all spacers between blade and spindle- none on top) and I got all the spacers for front castor wheels on bottom side of yoke to try and get deck up higher so not pushing leaves so bad. Seems the leaves bunch up bad in front? The mower has a bar or bumper across the front that don't help so considering taking it off. But the front still seems too low? Appears to be only 2.5" off ground. Is the front to low even with it raised as high as spacers allow? I can 'roll' some leaves under front if I push handles down thus raising front wheels right off the ground-but that gets old quick. Please lay out step by step on a good way to set this up. Thanks
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Any way you could post a picture?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What brand mower? 'Guessing' this is a belt drive? Backing up over leaves is quite productive...but not so easy with a belt drive.

You might try using a lower lift blade. My BOP Q32s do well with the 3in1 Gator blades whether side-discharging or in mulch mode with the mulch plate attached when doing Fall leaves. However, I still get blowout in the front when mulching...and I'm able to get my front end up pretty high which enhances the blowout to some degree. Lotta turbulence under there b/tw the blades...so turning down the RPMs is a BIG help, even when approaching huge piles. The peak torque (not HP) of most engines is in the midrange of the power curve, not at WOT. Plus, I can back up over them which, as stated above, is very effective.

Hope this helps & good luck!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It definitely helps to make the first pass at half throttle. After that, blowout is not as much of a factor.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys..

It is a belt drive Jacobsen crew-king (very nice shape- so use it) It is almost identical to a SW36 Scag as far as configuration.. Just slightly less robust. I actually have scag drive belts on it now (new).. but guess that that is the case with many WB mowers on parts interchangable. One thing I'm going to try is put Scag casters up front instead of original.. Scag appear bit taller. Maybe I'll try less lift blades or gator's too. Sorry Jim- I don't have the 'know how' yet on posting pics. I need to crawl out of my Shell and get with the times. Gene
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are you able to text or email pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pic's (Jim)

I can take pics- put them into my pic folder at my Kodak page, but from there only been able to send them out to a e-mail by creating a e-mail then clicking on the paper clip to get to my pictures. Long story short- I can take pic-download it and send to a e-mail.