Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Between the slate and the moss it looks like the emerald isle.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't there fierce winds during a wildfire outbreak? There would have to be a hell of an overspray to ensure complete coverage.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Aren't there fierce winds during a wildfire outbreak? There would have to be a hell of an overspray to ensure complete coverage.
There will be no 100% security against the right conditions. Fierce winds do spread the fire, but the rooftop sprinklers can be one point of prevention. Also having a defensible space with trees 20' away from the home is one recommendation. But when you live in the forest like I do, cutting so many trees down just sucks. A non-combustible shingle is another. But we read that embers were flying into some of the attic and soffit vents catching the homes on fire. Every piece of prevention is just that - one piece. Do 2, 3, 4 pieces and you have a pretty good system of prevention.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I have installed three sprinkler systems on roofs. Water sprays the same on top as it does on the lawn. It's not rocket science.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Yes, I have installed three sprinkler systems on roofs. Water sprays the same on top as it does on the lawn. It's not rocket science.
Posted via Mobile Device
How about method of running pipes to make them as unsightly as possible? What type of pipes did you use? PVC seems like it could be ugly and here it tends to discolor when in the sun. Painted PVC? Gray Sch. 80? Copper? Galvi? From what I've seen online, brass impacts on the roof tops are used most often.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
There will be no 100% security against the right conditions. Fierce winds do spread the fire, but the rooftop sprinklers can be one point of prevention. Also having a defensible space with trees 20' away from the home is one recommendation. But when you live in the forest like I do, cutting so many trees down just sucks. A non-combustible shingle is another. But we read that embers were flying into some of the attic and soffit vents catching the homes on fire. Every piece of prevention is just that - one piece. Do 2, 3, 4 pieces and you have a pretty good system of prevention.
The Clover fire will be 100% contained Sunday. 68 homes, 80 outbuildings, 8,000 plus acres and 1 life at this point.

A hunting buddy of my son has a home in one of the canyons that were burned over.

Billy has been proactive in preparing his 20 acres for such an event.

1) he has sheep to mow down the non irrigated areas.

2) he has thinned or removed all brush on his land.

3) the areas near his home and outbuildings are irrigated.

4) his pump is backed up with a gen set for fire.

5) hydrants are in place to defend critical areas.

Billy's home was the only home standing in a community of 32 due to his hard work and planning.

He also said that he had no real warning, the heat was intense and that he was scared to be trapped in the canyon but glad he was home.

Billy is the same guy that got mauled by a bear a few years back. He has some great stories to pass on.

Our buddy John was working the fire Dana, he told me that most of the homes were lost because of a lack of defenseable space.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
How about method of running pipes to make them as unsightly as possible? What type of pipes did you use? PVC seems like it could be ugly and here it tends to discolor when in the sun. Painted PVC? Gray Sch. 80? Copper? Galvi? From what I've seen online, brass impacts on the roof tops are used most often.
Made fake gutter downspouts to hide the pipe on the way up. The green roof system was modular and had pre drilled holes to feed the pipe through.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Anyone install any fire prevention roof top sprinklers? A couple customers have asked me recently about it after two years of local forest fires (granted, today our state is flooding away from massive rains). I'm researching on the google machine, but want some real input from you all if you've done it. Would be a manual set up - either off the sprinkler mainline/manifold, or off the hose bibb, although our bibbs are usually off 1/2" line.

From a few I've seen online - brass impacts, mounted under the soffits at either end. Or somehow run pipes into attic and pop out thru the top, but I'd be worried about not making a tight water seal on the roof.

Thanks
I put a hose bibb on my roof for that reason. Nothing hooked up to it constantly, I just have an impact and hose dedicated for that purpose when I need it.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
There would have to be a hell of an overspray to ensure complete coverage.
Sounds as if you have working knowledge of the situation
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Just remember to think of a plan B for a water source as the flow can be affected if the firies are using there hoses which could affect the flow at your property. Your rooftop sprinkler system may be useless if relying on mains water.