Register free!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
I wasn't sure if there would be wire or rebar in a pool deck...was mostly making the poster aware so he didn't ruin a diamond blade
What are your options abrasive wheels at 10 bucks cut all day but change wheels every 10 minutes or kill a 150 dollar diamond get the job done in in a hr or 2, or burn a little of a 800 dollar diamond and get many jobs out of it. What does the job cost you ....what are you billing if for ..... How much time you got.... It's a choice....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I have NEVER seen rebar used in grounding.
Google "UFER GROUND" been in use since WWII.

Quote:
I'm around pools almost every day.
I have been in and around them most of my life too. Digging, tieing steel, gunite and shotcrete crew hand, plumb and wire, pouring decks (salt - stamp - kool deck) even plastered a few. Dove one earlier today and did a video inspection, have a 24 hr equipment on leak test going right now. I kinda know my way around most pools and spas.

Quote:
reinforcement acts as a skeleton for a concrete slab.
That is a very good definition.

Quote:
We just finished working with an old pool deck this week that had NO rebar and no Wire reinforcing the concrete.
As a rule the only rebar in the decks of older pools was a couple of 6 ft #4 bars bent in the middle and placed at the board stand jig. I have seen dowels bent into the deck from the bondbeam though. That is something that i personally would never do.

Quote:
However - most pool decks do have rebar and wire reinforcement.
Prolly more regional or after 2008

Quote:
And yes - the topic of "GROUNDING" is important. Because many contractors will rip out old concrete decking and install pavers.
Grounding and bonding are important, but not for that reason.

Just because i have been around a bit doesn't mean that i know more than you or anyone else. It does mean that i have seen quite a few different ways that things are done in different parts of the country.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
I wasn't sure if there would be wire or rebar in a pool deck...was mostly making the poster aware so he didn't ruin a diamond blade
Yeppers

I thought that's what you were gettin at
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I have been in and around them most of my life too. Digging, tieing steel, gunite and shotcrete crew hand, plumb and wire, pouring decks (salt - stamp - kool deck) even plastered a few. Dove one earlier today and did a video inspection, have a 24 hr equipment on leak test going right now. I kinda know my way around most pools and spas.
We work with pools in a total different capacity than you do Apples to grapes

But response was just setting you folks straight that the dude was referring to concrete reinforcement.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
We work with pools in a total different capacity than you do Apples to grapes

But response was just setting you folks straight that the dude was referring to concrete reinforcement.
It was obvious by your post that we don't share the same scope of responsability. You guys work around them after the hard work is done.

And since we are set straight, i would suggest an ICS or Husky diamond chainsaw for the larger radii and a small hand held grinder with diamond blade for the smaller radii. Finish the edge with a diamond cove and edge tool.

It was fun spending time with you all
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've torn up plenty of pools decks. It's hit or miss on rebar and wire here.. It's more so depending on the builder.

This job had three pieces of rebar down each side, each around two foot long, Running from the cantilever out. Turns out that was where the concrete cracked..
Posted via Mobile Device