Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2013, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you other HD members get a Brite Ideas catalog and price list in your mailbox this week? I didn't know if they were targeting all HD members or people who had contacted them in the past but never pulled the trigger. All I really looked at was the greenery and prices. I see they also do the whopping one year warranty.

I was given the industry standard warranty speech in the past but it really looks like the one year deal is a NE thing only. Vickerman, Christmas Designers, and some others give triple the warranty. I have a problem with stocking up on stuff with basically a six week warranty.

The Brite Ideas greenery probably takes a definite second to HD but it looks like they have undercut them on some of the prices some to try to make up for it.

I've been trying to steal one of my maintenance customers away from Decor for about five years and finally got her. I haven't even done her house yet and she has referred me to a friend who is also using Decor. Should be an easy sell. It's nice when your efforts pay off after trying for years and not giving up.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dara contacted Vickerman and they had me box up the stuff and just leave it outside my door for UPS to pick up. That's what I call service. Christmas Designers emailed me labels last year when I had a problem as well.

I've asked other companies I deal why their process has to be such a pain in the azz. I think it comes down to customer service adds expense and to some it's just not worth the expense. I do not have time to take stuff and pay to ship back for issues beyond my control. Then I have to babysit the company for months to make sure I get my shipping credited back.

I'm sticking with the LED C7/C9, garland, wreath sales if possible from now on. It's easy to maintain and an easy sell to my upscale clients. I just can't deal with the multiple issues I've had with wire frame stuff.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting ready to contact a few leads from last year. A few of the homes range from 10,000 - 22,000 square feet. I'm really hoping to land at least one or two jobs that could be crazy big. The final job I landed last year was over 600' of C9's and was a nice job to land as the season ended.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If anyone needs a Magic Box light tester Dara has them for only $100. I have to buy the GD thing because the 2012 and later LED Light Links lose one bulb the whole link or wire frame material will lose the entire stand now. I had multiple first year stands go out last year because of one bulb failure and it was a real PIA. Moving forward I no longer will sell anything on wire frames unless it has reliable sealed bulbs.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Any of your xmas light or wreaths run on battery. Need a led solution or something for hoa without power on monuments
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Any of your xmas light or wreaths run on battery. Need a led solution or something for hoa without power on monuments
Two of my suppliers do both wreaths and garland that are LED battery operated. You usually will get a full season out of a set of batteries.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Battery Wreath

Here is a shot of one of my Holidynamics battery powered wreaths. It needs a little prep work done to it in this shot.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had pretty good luck with the HDY battery wreaths, but they are kinda funky on the timers. they are 6 hours on, 18 hours off, and you have to be there at 6pm to flip the switch the first time. and they last about 40 days or so. but kinda dim. you have to have a dark front porch or windows for them to look good. I use the batteries from harbor fright because they are the cheapest alkalines I could find. I think a much better and elegant solution would be a big cheap lithium rechargeable battery pack. for 25 bucks on ebay, you can get 8 18650 lithium cells, a charger, and this has basically the same energy available in amp hours as 8 1.5 D alkaline batteries. except you can just charge it once or twice per season. and it would last for 20 years at only one or two discharges per year. or go crazy and spend 35 bucks and get a 12 cell pack that lasts 60 days on one charge. but that's just me.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have any of you guys seen the Wire Grabber clamps for rigging up things with 1/8th or 5/64th cable. Here is a link http://www.aifittings.com/products/spec-sheets/FLG3.pdf. I bought a bag of 50 I'm going to try.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Have any of you guys seen the Wire Grabber clamps for rigging up things with 1/8th or 5/64th cable. Here is a link http://www.aifittings.com/products/spec-sheets/FLG3.pdf. I bought a bag of 50 I'm going to try.
Here are the clamps that showed up. On heavier items like my 60" wreaths I may double up on then even thought they are good for 75-100 pounds depending on where which specs you look at. They seem like a great time saver. I wish they would sell them in a duplex set with two cast together into a single unit. Or larger sizes where each side of the guillotine had a set screw to add more clamping power.
Attached Images