Register free!

Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Sounds as if you have working knowledge of the situation
Posted via Mobile Device
I have more experience falling off roofs than putting sprinklers on them.

This thread started me researching for more details on the Rain-Jet roof-sprinkler head, which might be as good as it will ever get, being that the brass rotor head would not support use of the nozzle as a home by insects, which is something that impact heads are vulnerable to.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We are a buncha MacGyvers ...I was thinkin the same thing for a dream ranch house...awsome....also contemplating being able to pump out of swimming pool if necessary.
Thought I'd have the setup on the roof and just be able to add supply line quickly so I didn't have pipe running up side of house...though could be hidden by gutter downspout
Old 09-16-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Michael Smith with Control Tech USA in Colorado, has engineered an extremely advanced fire mitigation system. This is NOT a low-cost solution but it is really interesting. Some of you might know Control Tech from their irrigation controller repair services and solar powered irrigation options, including 2-wire decoder systems for a couple of manufacturers.

{Sorry I didn't make the links "live" below.}
Go to: http://www.waveguardco.com/
Control Tech USA/Michael Smith: 303-814-0307 and http://controltechusa.com/

(Excerpt from WaveGuard web page below

The system is activated when the IR flame detector detects the flame from an approaching fire. Once the flame is detected, it sends a signal to the control panel to activate the sprinkler system to begin watering the property. While water is being pumped to the sprinkler heads, a fire ******ant is being injected into the system at a specified rate. The sprinkler heads will water the structure along with a 60’ to 70’ radius around the structure.

When the water begins to empty from the holding tank and goes below the full level sensor, the control panel then activates an electric valve that is installed on the domestic water line or well that supplies water to the house, opening it to start filling the holding tank.

The control panel will allow water to flow for a minimum cycle time of 20 minutes. After the minimum cycle time water will continue to flow as long an IR detector is detecting flames or until the water holding tank is emptied. If the IR detector or detectors don’t detect flames after the initial 20 minute cycle, the control panel will begin water flow cycles of 20 minutes off, 5 minutes on until the water holding tank is emptied.

The holding tank will fill until the full level sensor in the tank is covered with water indicating the tank is full. When the tank is full, the controller closes the filling valve and continues polling the IR detectors for new flame events.During this time of filling, the controller ceases to poll the IR detectors until the water level in the tank reaches the halfway point. Any IR detector that detects a flame will trigger the controller to continue the watering of the property. If the tank was emptied as IR detectors continued to detect fire, the controller will resume watering until either the holding tank empties again, or the IR detectors cease to detect flames.

In the event that power would be shut off to the community in which our system is installed, we designed into our system a propane-powered generator that will operate our system along with the well pump to the house if the community is not on a domestic water line.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Im really curious about their "IR Detectors" Most home security systems use IR detectors to sense movement, so Im wondering how their detector would differentiate from a wildfire vs someone or something passing in front of the detector, or even something as a firepit or the like. It would really suck if everytime a bird flew by it decided to start watering down the property.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
We are a buncha MacGyvers ...I was thinkin the same thing for a dream ranch house...awsome....also contemplating being able to pump out of swimming pool if necessary.
Thought I'd have the setup on the roof and just be able to add supply line quickly so I didn't have pipe running up side of house...though could be hidden by gutter downspout
The pool could be plumbed to supply your fire sys0em from the main drain which would allow you to effectively drain the pool using the existing pumps. It would take a little number running to match the pump to the sprinklers.

Important part is providing an alternate power source that provides protection during reconnection by the power company.

Without a proper lockout, backfeed could injure or kill someone when the power comes back on line.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I have more experience falling off roofs than putting sprinklers on them.

This thread started me researching for more details on the Rain-Jet roof-sprinkler head, which might be as good as it will ever get, being that the brass rotor head would not support use of the nozzle as a home by insects, which is something that impact heads are vulnerable to.
I was actually insinuating that you are an overspray expert.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The system comes with a military-grade sonic cannon that will eradicate any mammals, birds, or small neighbor children that might trip the IR sensors.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was hoping for an electrically-isolated water tank with conductive salts added, connected to a 50,000 volt supply
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I was hoping for an electrically-isolated water tank with conductive salts added, connected to a 50,000 volt supply
Of all of the water on earth, which is the least conductive?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Distilled water.