Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I owned an 03 Dmax a few years back and I've kicked myself every day since I traded it off! It was a pulling machine!
Husqvarna 14" chain saw
Husqvarna 16" chain saw
Husqvarna back pack blower
Polan 14" chain saw
2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd
Single axel trailer with mesh side walls and lift gate
2 back up riding tractors

QuickBooks Pro business software
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you absolutely need a diesel, I don't see how you'll save money with the extra cost of maintenance, fuel, and then $18.00 for urea every tank and a half or so.

I used a buddy of mines 2013 6.6 duramax for a month while I had a truck out of commission. It was pulling my dump trailer or pulling about 14k pounds regularly. I averaged around 11mpg. It pulled wonderfully and stopped even better. But I was shelling out $120 for a fill up..
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought an 01' 1500hd Crewcab w/ 6.0 as a second truck. After pulling my 18' enclosed trailer around on Friday , I'm highly impressed by the power.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

6.0 Vortec vs. 6.6 Duramax

If you're filling the DEF tank every tank and a half there's a hole in the tank or something. Try every 2-3000 miles or more. That's been my experience so far.

I have 25000 on the 13 Duramax I have now. This will be the third dmax I've had and so far it's been great. I was skeptical about the DEF at first but it's no big deal. It tows the gooseneck and skid trailer around no problem. Great pickup as the other two were. Yes maintenance can get expensive on them. No different than any other piece of equipment.

That said if all you do is tow mowers I'd go 6.0. I think next summer I'm going to find a older regular cab 2500 with a 6.0 as a run around pickup that can still tow to save on driving the diesel unless I'm hooked up to the gooseneck or skid
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I am going to get a diesel. It is really not my mowers that the diesel would help me out with... It is when I pull tractors back and forth between my farms. I am not a farmer, but I pull my little 40hp New Holland and sometimes my dads 95hp Case around, and the gas definitely does not like it one bit going up hills. But I only tow like this maybe 4 or 5 times a year max, so it probably isn't worth the diesel.

The gas has the power, but it revs high to get it. The diesels tach doesn't even move.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon7 View Post
Okay guys, currently I have an 2006 6.0 gasser and just purchased another 2013 6.0 gas. Really pleased with the small block, although mileage is only about 10 mpg pulling. Both trucks are extended cab long beds with 4x4. I have had 4 of these trucks and the motor and tranny are trouble free.

However, while I was waiting for the dealer to locate my new truck, he let me borrow a brand new 2014 Dmax for a few days. Man oh man, I have had 7.3 power strokes in the past, but these new diesels are way more powerful stock than the old ones.

This truck impressed the heck out of me. I do not really NEED a diesel to just pull around my lawn trailers, but I kind of WANT it. I can cruise without the truck shifting down going up hills and I would say it EASILY has 3 times the amount of pulling power of a 6.0 gasser.

For those of you that have the newer diesels, how is the Urea? Is it a pain? Any problems with the newer DMax? What is the mileage you average? Thinking about selling my older truck and getting another new one...

I am just kind of stuck whether to get a dependable and adequate 6.0, or get a duramax. The duramax with the allison is about $8000 more than the gas.

What do you guys think? If I can save on fuel and make it last 15 years I might do it, but I don't want a lot of other BS problems like the turbo going out, this fancy exhaust system, etc...
The D-Max will get better fuel mileage but will it save you $8000? The maintenance on the gasser is going to be alot less as well. One injector on a D-Max will set you back more than all eight on a Vortec. If you were pulling a skid-steer or something really heavy a diesel would make sense but less sometimes is better. Modern diesels are notoriously expensive to repair thanks to ever-increasing EPA mandates. I'd love to own a diesel but it would not makes sense for me to have 900ft. lbs. of torque to pull an 18ft. lawn trailer.
The 6.0 has been a great engine durability=wise. Yes, it likes the gas but it takes alot of gas to pull as well as it does.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
That vortec is 6.2 liter I believe. Very good engine.
The 6.2 vortec only comes on the Denali HD
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You need to remember at resale your going to get back 1/2-3/4 of the extra money you spend on a Diesel. It's not money lost. There are things you can do to give your investment extra protection like adding Opti-Lube XPD to the ULSD Diesel to put the lubricity back that was lost when sulfur was removed. The extra lubricity helps protect your fueling system.

The DEF on the newer trucks has also helped with millage so it's really a plus not a minus. Even though the fuel costs more your usually going to use 25-50% less depending on if your empty or towing medium to heavy loads. The DEF using Ford 6.7, GM 6.6, and Cummins 6.7 have all done really well.

The simpler big C straight six in the Ram is still my favorite. It gets used in the medium duty Fords and is the only engine used to repower Fords 6.0 & 6.4's as a swap option. Diesel is not for everyone but for even just mostly towing my 16' enclosed it has been a much lower cost per mile option in my 2500.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you'd be hard pressed to take my 6.7 cummins away from me. its annoying to me driving a tow vehicle that struggles, this thing doesn't blink whatever i throw at it. i picked up a 2013 silverado 1500 for the wife, and come to find out it has 3.08 gears in it, i can hardly stand driving it if i'd have figured it out sooner i'd have taken it back. this diesel has spoiled me
Old 09-28-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2008 (LMM) Dmax 3500 reg cab i purchased new. It has 110000 miles on it. Truck runs great, no problems at all. I also have a new 2013 half ton, extended cab short bed, lt (all star) The new truck is probably the nicest chevy pick up i have ever owned. It has the 5.3 and the six speed, 17" wheels and i get 18.5 mpg around town. It has the instant econ engine, i have seen it get as much as 99 mpg on the highway!