Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Had my truck and trailer stolen today

Main reasons for posting this is let everyone that thinks it could never happen to you please think twice.
I was by myself today gave the help a day off (yards are burning up). I was mowing a property that had 8 duplexes and have been mowing it for 7 plus years didn't think much of it so I did what I always do rolled the windows up (windows are tinted) and left the keys in the ignition. Got it mowed and trimmed and as I'm blowing off sidewalks a tenant comes around the corner and says someone just stole your truck. Truck, Trailer, Equipment gone!!! only thing I had to my name at this point was a backpack blower. Police were called and Luckily the manager at the next door apartment complex saw this and jumped in his truck to try and chase them down, he had no luck spotting them. As I'm talking to the police I get a call from a near by cemetery saying there was a guy that parked your truck and trailer and took off, is it stolen? I told him yes and he tried to chase him down but he got in a suv and got away. I don't know if he got spooked or what happen that made him ditch the truck close by and run off. Everything was accounted for execpt he took the keys to the truck. Chances of catching him slim but I could of saved everyone the trouble by locking up my truck.

Normally I would read this and think ahh I know my area's good enough I know when I should lock my doors and when not to, but now I've learned my lesson and locking the doors and taking the keys with me on every stop is what I will be doing from now on. As we give our friendly waves to each other on the road, this is just my friendly wave to everyone in this business it could happen anytime just beware.