Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help Bidding My Sod Job

Hi ya'll,

I am bidding a 10 pallet sod job and quoted at $60/hr. I know prices are all over the board and geographically dependent but just wondering if I am in the ballpark?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help Bidding My Sod Job

I am $50 per hour labor. I am small and solo. I just did 36 rolls (1/2 pallet) and spread 3 yards topsoil before the sod. Took me 5 hours with a lunch. Coulda finished in four if I was working faster but was being paid well and wanted to do good job. I bid $700 labor and materials. Only had $200 in materials and dirt was delivered.

10 pallets no dirt I would be $3500 minimum with $1400 in sod cost. That's just me. I'm no FT sod guy. I've only laid about 10 pallets in my life. Good luck. I'm in Missouri paying $2 for a roll fesue, 9sq ft
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Szkyan. The sod was purchased by homeowner and delivered onsite, I am just going to do labor. He hired another guy to do prep work including top soil. My biggest job was 14 pallets with 2 other guys and that was 8 hours. This is just me so I am figuring 8-10 hours if I hump it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$.50 per square sounds fair if the sod is already paid for.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlePig Hollow View Post
Thanks Szkyan. The sod was purchased by homeowner and delivered onsite, I am just going to do labor. He hired another guy to do prep work including top soil. My biggest job was 14 pallets with 2 other guys and that was 8 hours. This is just me so I am figuring 8-10 hours if I hump it.
It will take you longer than that solo
Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
It will take you longer than that solo
It did take me longer, right at 12 hours and I did not roll it because it was bermuda and laid nicely. I will post some pics of the final results. Checked back in on the job just this week and it is greening up nicely. I am thinking about overseeding with winter rye to fill in when the bermuda slows down.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Every site and job is different. But... if easy access, minimal prep (other than soil conditioning,) I'm about 250/ pallet. I pay ~$110/ pallet for materials. 3 guys can do 10 pallets before lunch. Assuming the CTL is following the guys with the pallet. This is for a standard 5k yard.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
It did take me longer, right at 12 hours and I did not roll it because it was bermuda and laid nicely. I will post some pics of the final results. Checked back in on the job just this week and it is greening up nicely. I am thinking about overseeding with winter rye to fill in when the bermuda slows down.

Thanks for the input!
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you laid 10 pallets of sod (approx 450 SF) by yourself in 12 hours @ $60 hour = $720

Correct?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input!
Don't overseed bermuda sod the first year. You'll have way too much competition between the two grass's the next spring and it will weaken the bermuda drastically.