Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHV7VEl1I_o
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffandtamara View Post
From the second photo, you can see I have a 3 prong gear puller installed trying to break it loose. I have sprayed with penetrating fluid and have applied pressure with the gear puller and whacked with a hammer numerous times. No joy.... My thought is to let it set with pressure applied and penetrating fluid working and repeat several times...Does this have a chance of working??,
I had the same problem back in May. Yes, it will come off. Unlike the video, I was hitting it from behind, just a tap. I would spray it and turn the screw on the puller and tap it, go do something else. Come back to it when I was done what ever and repeat. Just keep doing that, it will pop.

Pics to come on how I repaired the rim....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rim repair

Each of our cutting crews carries a spare...At some point they changed out a flat, and didn't do a good job tightening up the lugs.
When this broke, it sheared 3 out of the four lugs.
Attached Images

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now what I did was remove the tire from the rim. Used my small grinder and cleaned up both sides of the rim. Then got some large washers, cut them down so they would fit.
Attached Images

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There was damage to the hub from the rim riding around loose, so I got a new hub and studs. I set the hub up on some short 2x4 blocks.
Centered the hub with the washers in place, then ran the lug nuts down to keep every thing from moving and the protect the threads on the studs.

I have an old Lincoln stick welder, it's good enough for what I have to do. If you get this far, DO NOT WELD WITH A TIRE ON THE RIM.

I tacked the washers in place, removed the hub and finished welding the washers. Then cleaned up my welding with my small grinder.
Attached Images

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now if you want to go that extra step......In my case, keep the Boss happy

I sand blasted the rim and painted it. Mounted the tire the next day and it has been out working every day since May
Attached Images

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Persistence finally paid off and I got the Hub off using a 3 arm puller and alternating pressure and penetrating oil.

Breezmister You certainly answered my next question....

It is about cost and where to buy the parts. I have located all the part numbers and ScagOEMParts.com had a price of $565.81 $352 of it was for the Wheel Assembly. I guess that is the wheel and tire together. I need the tire, but I think I could get a new one for about $100... so pretty pricey.
Where is a good place to get the parts... I am heading to the Scag Dealer tomorrow to see what they think the parts are worth.... I hope I don't have to go through the percision welding and such that Breezmister, but maybe that would make good sense... I might check with the local tire store and see what they might recommend....
Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When you see your Scag dealer, ask him if he has any used rims and hubs from any junked machines. Check out any local welding shops, maybe they could weld something up for you. Auto parts stores might be able to get you over sized studs, alittle drilling and pressing them in, maybe Helicoil. Check out Ebay.

I know that if you buy all that stuff new, I'm guessing that it is all dealer only parts, it's going to hurt.

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think I would have went past where you put the washers in place but that's a fine rebuild there, hope the paint holds.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Loose Lug Nuts / Big Problem

Well I followed the advice Breezmister gave and found some used parts. All except the Wheel and Tire. Anyone know of a used source for a 24x12 rim??? The parts machine I found had 12x10 rims and tires.. Everything else crossed over just fine.

Might consider a repair, but don't have equipment to get the tire off and on the rim. Not sure I could do it with out the right stuff...

Any chance auto tire shops might have the equipment to take the tires off and repair rims???