Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pre-emergent/post-emergent mainly
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nitrogen in the form of urea should work OK...however...if you just dump in a bag--it will plug up your filter and your pressure will be zero. You do have a filter, right? Stir with a canoe paddle to get it dissolved first.

Read through a bunch of old posts about spraying urea on Lawnsite. You have to keep the rate low to avoid burning the grass. Less than a half-pound of nitrogen per 1000 feet sq. High temperatures result in increased risk of burning the grass. Starts and stops and uneven spray will make it worse.

Practice on your own lawn for the first few weeks
Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've sprayed urea plenty to know the drill there, though it has been a while! I am a slow walker too.. so yeah, always nervous about getting out there with spraying urea. Orkin lawn care brought in trucks with electric pumps in 1995 before they sold, and they didn't last very long spraying urea out of them. What i'm gonna do is stick to my slow release granular.. i just like how they work better.. sure it won't green up overnight but i like how the green color lasts.

More concerned about the muriate of potash, i figure i'd mix it in a big bucket first, and dump it in slow while its agitating, with atleast a half full tank.. wondering if warm water will help? and i'd mix it up right before i go out to spray rather than the night before. it could work.. worst thing that happens is i blow a diaphragmn on a pump that is relatively cheap, and another lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Nitrogen in the form of urea should work OK...however...if you just dump in a bag--it will plug up your filter and your pressure will be zero. You do have a filter, right? Stir with a canoe paddle to get it dissolved first.

Read through a bunch of old posts about spraying urea on Lawnsite. You have to keep the rate low to avoid burning the grass. Less than a half-pound of nitrogen per 1000 feet sq. High temperatures result in increased risk of burning the grass. Starts and stops and uneven spray will make it worse.

Practice on your own lawn for the first few weeks
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Muriate of potash (KCl) is very soluble Should not be a problem, particularly the fine crystal grade. Probably best to dissolve it the night before--give it time for potash and urea to go into solution. Protect the pump with a filter.
A portable drill with a 5 gal size paint stir blade may be enough to get everything into solution quickly.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I've sprayed urea plenty to know the drill there, though it has been a while! I am a slow walker too.. so yeah, always nervous about getting out there with spraying urea. Orkin lawn care brought in trucks with electric pumps in 1995 before they sold, and they didn't last very long spraying urea out of them. What i'm gonna do is stick to my slow release granular.. i just like how they work better.. sure it won't green up overnight but i like how the green color lasts.

More concerned about the muriate of potash, i figure i'd mix it in a big bucket first, and dump it in slow while its agitating, with atleast a half full tank.. wondering if warm water will help? and i'd mix it up right before i go out to spray rather than the night before. it could work.. worst thing that happens is i blow a diaphragmn on a pump that is relatively cheap, and another lesson learned.
http://www.synateksolutions.com sells a really good SCRN called Turf Flo. Will is a great guy to work with. I thought about spraying urea but I've heard too many horror stories.

I like the potash idea. Keep me posted on the results.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
http://www.synateksolutions.com sells a really good SCRN called Turf Flo. Will is a great guy to work with. I thought about spraying urea but I've heard too many horror stories.

I like the potash idea. Keep me posted on the results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you running for a spray gun? I currently use a teejet and am very unhappy with the coverage that i am getting from it.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlawnpro View Post
What are you running for a spray gun? I currently use a teejet and am very unhappy with the coverage that i am getting from it.
The skid sprayer I'm about to buy comes with a teejet gun. I have a friend that has the lesco/chemlawn gun and he loves it. Says the coverage is great.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you know what model the pump is? I am going to build a 100gal electric skid but not sure on what pump to use. Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Sponsor

Glad that unit is working well for you!