Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:04 AM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,489
pre-emergent/post-emergent mainly
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,107
Nitrogen in the form of urea should work OK...however...if you just dump in a bag--it will plug up your filter and your pressure will be zero. You do have a filter, right? Stir with a canoe paddle to get it dissolved first.

Read through a bunch of old posts about spraying urea on Lawnsite. You have to keep the rate low to avoid burning the grass. Less than a half-pound of nitrogen per 1000 feet sq. High temperatures result in increased risk of burning the grass. Starts and stops and uneven spray will make it worse.

Practice on your own lawn for the first few weeks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 PM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,489
I've sprayed urea plenty to know the drill there, though it has been a while! I am a slow walker too.. so yeah, always nervous about getting out there with spraying urea. Orkin lawn care brought in trucks with electric pumps in 1995 before they sold, and they didn't last very long spraying urea out of them. What i'm gonna do is stick to my slow release granular.. i just like how they work better.. sure it won't green up overnight but i like how the green color lasts.

More concerned about the muriate of potash, i figure i'd mix it in a big bucket first, and dump it in slow while its agitating, with atleast a half full tank.. wondering if warm water will help? and i'd mix it up right before i go out to spray rather than the night before. it could work.. worst thing that happens is i blow a diaphragmn on a pump that is relatively cheap, and another lesson learned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Nitrogen in the form of urea should work OK...however...if you just dump in a bag--it will plug up your filter and your pressure will be zero. You do have a filter, right? Stir with a canoe paddle to get it dissolved first.

Read through a bunch of old posts about spraying urea on Lawnsite. You have to keep the rate low to avoid burning the grass. Less than a half-pound of nitrogen per 1000 feet sq. High temperatures result in increased risk of burning the grass. Starts and stops and uneven spray will make it worse.

Practice on your own lawn for the first few weeks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,107
Muriate of potash (KCl) is very soluble Should not be a problem, particularly the fine crystal grade. Probably best to dissolve it the night before--give it time for potash and urea to go into solution. Protect the pump with a filter.
A portable drill with a 5 gal size paint stir blade may be enough to get everything into solution quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
smallstripesnc smallstripesnc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I've sprayed urea plenty to know the drill there, though it has been a while! I am a slow walker too.. so yeah, always nervous about getting out there with spraying urea. Orkin lawn care brought in trucks with electric pumps in 1995 before they sold, and they didn't last very long spraying urea out of them. What i'm gonna do is stick to my slow release granular.. i just like how they work better.. sure it won't green up overnight but i like how the green color lasts.

More concerned about the muriate of potash, i figure i'd mix it in a big bucket first, and dump it in slow while its agitating, with atleast a half full tank.. wondering if warm water will help? and i'd mix it up right before i go out to spray rather than the night before. it could work.. worst thing that happens is i blow a diaphragmn on a pump that is relatively cheap, and another lesson learned.
http://www.synateksolutions.com sells a really good SCRN called Turf Flo. Will is a great guy to work with. I thought about spraying urea but I've heard too many horror stories.

I like the potash idea. Keep me posted on the results.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
rkk95 rkk95 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: west PA
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
http://www.synateksolutions.com sells a really good SCRN called Turf Flo. Will is a great guy to work with. I thought about spraying urea but I've heard too many horror stories.

I like the potash idea. Keep me posted on the results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 PM
greenlawnpro greenlawnpro is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ossian, IA
Posts: 23
What are you running for a spray gun? I currently use a teejet and am very unhappy with the coverage that i am getting from it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 PM
smallstripesnc smallstripesnc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlawnpro View Post
What are you running for a spray gun? I currently use a teejet and am very unhappy with the coverage that i am getting from it.
The skid sprayer I'm about to buy comes with a teejet gun. I have a friend that has the lesco/chemlawn gun and he loves it. Says the coverage is great.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Dylan's Lawn Care Dylan's Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 116
Do you know what model the pump is? I am going to build a 100gal electric skid but not sure on what pump to use. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Josh B's Avatar
Josh B Josh B is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 29
Glad that unit is working well for you!
__________________
Graham Spray Equipment - Douglasville, GA - Josh Bare - 678.313.4568 - josh@grahamse.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.08202 seconds with 10 queries