Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone in here use Walker MB series mowers?

I don't know why but the Walker MBK has my attention at the moment. I guess due to its compact size and lighter weight. I looked at Walkers many years ago but never ended up going that route. Too slow. No need to collect clippings most of the time. And really just not doing the kind of lawns where a mower like that was needed.

Things change and I guess Walker has too. From what I have read the Walker mulching decks do a phenomenal job in other parts of the country, but I haven't heard much about them on St Augustine. And I guess they are supposed to have pretty good hillside stability too. Another big deal for me. My main concern is the cutting height advertised. I believe they say they cut to only 4". That would be a huge problem for me in the summer. Of course their 4" may be like 5" on another mower.

So, does anyone have experience with the MB series on St Augustine? Does it cut high enough for you during the summer? The MBS will cut higher but it weighs 400 lbs more and give up the compactness.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I have two 26 efi baggers and one mbk and looking at buying another mbk efi machine. I have used a lot of different machines after running Walkers I wont own anything else. Side hills up and down hills doesnt matter they do it all.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What height are you cutting at mostly?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
What height are you cutting at mostly?
3 inches Im out of Minnesota.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have any other mowers to compare it to? Is 3" on a Walker the same as 3" on everything else? If 4" on and MBK were equivalent to 4" on my Super Z or Lazer, I'd have a big problem with St Augustine from June until November. But if you look at my Toro 21" HD Commercial it advertises a max cutting height of 3 1/4", but that's equivalent to about 4 1/2" on my Hustler.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Keith I see several guys around here running them. They don't seem to be having an HOC issues as their properties look pretty good.

I tested out an older model a guy by me had for sale a couple of years ago. I didn't mess with the cutting height too much, I just moved it up a notch then back down to see how difficult it would be. I cut the empty lot next to his house and it left a very good cut on weedy Bahia.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. Walkers used to be really popular here. Not many anymore. But I still know a guy that has an older GHS Walker and newer MBS. I haven't talked with him in a long time, but I might have to make a point of looking him up. I know he does some nicer lawn, and the older Walker (with the same max height as the MBK) is still on the trailer, so I'm sure they still use it.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone bought into the midmount machines, after using walker for cleanups and gated properties they are so nice. The company is great to work with as well , they are there for there customers doesnt matter if your big or a one man show they take care of you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Do you have any other mowers to compare it to? Is 3" on a Walker the same as 3" on everything else? If 4" on and MBK were equivalent to 4" on my Super Z or Lazer, I'd have a big problem with St Augustine from June until November. But if you look at my Toro 21" HD Commercial it advertises a max cutting height of 3 1/4", but that's equivalent to about 4 1/2" on my Hustler.
I will chime in as i have a walker ghs and a, exmark lazer. The walker does not cut as high as my lazer.Ihave a few properties where i will not use the walker because i would have to cut the lawn twice along with bagging it where,with the lazer,i can lose it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R View Post
I will chime in as i have a walker ghs and a, exmark lazer. The walker does not cut as high as my lazer.Ihave a few properties where i will not use the walker because i would have to cut the lawn twice along with bagging it where,with the lazer,i can lose it.
Posted via Mobile Device