Below average job 1 5.26%
Too high of a cut 0 0%
Unsatisfactory job 10 52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
I take it you paid for this job. That less then 25 an acre. Here in va were averaging 55 an acre. It hard to explain to people that the cheapest isn't always the best.
Everyone charges ~$25-$30 an acre in this area. People can't afford more and the previous times I was paying $275 and it was a very nice job done. Then last year I paid $300 for a so-so job, but this one is not as good as last year's.

You can't charge $55-$75 an acre in South Carolina, or perhaps you can, but people won't hire for that much.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Looks decent enough to me. It'll look better when he goes over it again. Try and cut it a lil more often to get a more finished appearance.
Can't afford to pay for a second round. I will have to use my riding lawnmower (4 ft. deck) to finish mow it. May take me a week to do that....
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
10acres I would have charged in the $650-$750 range.
My heavy duty cutter on my mahindra can make 8' tall weeds look manicured in one pass.
Posted via Mobile Device
I need to get a loan and buy a decent tractor with a wide deck perhaps 10-15 ft. deck and a metal building on site, so don't have to purchase a very expensive truck with a huge trailer just to drive the tractor for a couple miles.
How many of you had people break into a metal building to steal a tractor?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

10 acres in my area be about 300 Only take me about 1.5 hrs That's with 7740 ford and 18ft batwing
I have 1 10 acre job I do it twice a year Wish I could get the price like everybody else has posted but in my area there to many does it

To OP the guy needs slow down or sharpen the blades or hire someone with a 1,000 Bush hog vs a 540
5 ft BH I say the tractor was under powered to have a crappy cut
Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
Can't afford to pay for a second round. I will have to use my riding lawnmower (4 ft. deck) to finish mow it. May take me a week to do that....
Next year see if anybody cut hay see if they would want cut your 10 acres a hay mower will cut cleaner and you will have a clean field
Old 09-18-2013, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I also live in SC and have found that many people actually have the money but don't want to pay someone a proper fee for services. The cost of a tractor, steel shed and bush hog would be far higher than just paying a reasonable rate to have that field mowed properly once/twice a year.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 AM

Looks to me like somebody grossly under charged, so they put the tractor in high gear to make the hourly rate work out.
Columbia has the highest wage earners in the State of SC on average. You just have to demand to be paid what is cost to do business or don't take the job. Don't take the job for less and leave it looking like this one does.

Last edited by Charles; 09-18-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am from columbia and I would been in the $350-$400 range just because I'd never cut it before. And you never know what your getting in to..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
10 acres in my area be about 300 Only take me about 1.5 hrs That's with 7740 ford and 18ft batwing
I have 1 10 acre job I do it twice a year Wish I could get the price like everybody else has posted but in my area there to many does it

To OP the guy needs slow down or sharpen the blades or hire someone with a 1,000 Bush hog vs a 540
5 ft BH I say the tractor was under powered to have a crappy cut
You got it right. In the South prices are much lower. I would pay $300, it is about right. The next time he told me he's buying a larger than 5 ft. deck and he will attach some kind of leveler to level the filed more for the $350. This time I will try to finish mow myself, but next time I will make sure he goes over it twice where its needed.

I prefer to pay someone a reasonable amount rather than purchase a building and a tractor myself, which would force me to go into a part time bush hogging etc. business. I very much understand everyone's need to make a living.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Next year see if anybody cut hay see if they would want cut your 10 acres a hay mower will cut cleaner and you will have a clean field
Thank you for the great suggestion. I appreciate that. Although my field probably has all the weed that animals don;t want, so unfortunately they probably wouldn't be able to use it for feed, but hay mower if I can find one, I will.