Below average job 1 5.26%
Too high of a cut 0 0%
Unsatisfactory job 10 52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Looks decent enough to me. It'll look better when he goes over it again. Try and cut it a lil more often to get a more finished appearance.
Who is paying for a double cut. He already lost his butt on the one pass deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I also live in SC and have found that many people actually have the money but don't want to pay someone a proper fee for services. The cost of a tractor, steel shed and bush hog would be far higher than just paying a reasonable rate to have that field mowed properly once/twice a year.
Yes, I agree, there are always two sides of a story. I understand them both. I wish I could make $50 an acre or more doing it myself, if I could afford a tractor and the building etc. and probably a good alarm system as well with a phone line on the agriculturally zoned field. Get some music an enclosed cabin with a/c and go! Yet with an income of around $800 a month there's not much one can do. I saved up these money over the year. Even the $250 is a lot of money to me right now. So I was going either to find someone for $250 or wait another year and pay $500 or perhaps do it myself more often with a garden tractor where it would cost me ~$50 in gas costs per 10 acres not more and take me ~15-20 hours to mow it. Not so bad, I could get over $10 per hour. I talked to many landscapers of all sorts and they told me that the diesel cost $40 per my field, so making $210 for a half day work, less repairs etc. one still makes about say $150 per half day in South Carolina with 40% unemployment is not that bad at all! My wife says wow! I have people come asking me for work, they're willing to work for 5 hours for $20!! And they are Americans! One was trying to steal my $1500 riding lawnmower the other night. Got one with a 52" deck and gonna use it on my 10 acres after work, work nights. People are becoming desperate. If I owned a decent tractor with a 10-15' deck I would work 14 hour days no weekends at $25 per acre I would make a lot of money and I do not need much to live. If anyone wants to offer me $30 per acre and a tractor I'm in! I can work 14 hours every day no weekends. Columbia, SC.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

without seeing any 'before' pics, it's hard to tell what kind of job it was. But man... I'm glad that brush hogging pays what it does around here!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Looks to me like somebody grossly under charged, so they put the tractor in high gear to make the hourly rate work out.
Columbia has the highest wage earners in the State of SC on average. You just have to demand to be paid what is cost to do business or don't take the job. Don't take the job for less and leave it looking like this one does.
Actually it is Orangeburg county, one of the poorest in the country, with 40%+ unemployment. GDP per capita lower than poorest country in Eastern Europe or Latin America. How much would you charge to do this in Bolivia? This is what it is. Someone making $2000 a month is already rich here.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Who is paying for a double cut. He already lost his butt on the one pass deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
My post is not a complaint. I'm trying to be fair. Just wanted the job evaluated.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
without seeing any 'before' pics, it's hard to tell what kind of job it was. But man... I'm glad that brush hogging pays what it does around here!
The brush was 3 to 6 feet high, mostly 4-5 ft. and quite dense, with very thick weed in a lot of places, but the field is flat, without much obstacles, but a couple places to drive around. $300 is average here to do an excellent job, which is $30 an acre for a perfect cut.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Neonrider I know their are places within SC (and all states) that have been rocked hard. I feel your pain but I have to LOL at your last sentence in post number 14. Your willing to get paid $30 per acre which would equal $300 for your ten acres on someone elses tractor inwhich they paid for (or are paying for) and ride on thier insurance and fuel costs. It doesn't work that way. Again I understand where your coming from and hope things improve for everyone soon.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we do acreage for $30 an acre, yes its low, but it only brings in $150 to $210 per hour, maybe we need to be charging more.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Neonrider I know their are places within SC (and all states) that have been rocked hard. I feel your pain but I have to LOL at your last sentence in post number 14. Your willing to get paid $30 per acre which would equal $300 for your ten acres on someone elses tractor inwhich they paid for (or are paying for) and ride on thier insurance and fuel costs. It doesn't work that way. Again I understand where your coming from and hope things improve for everyone soon.
Hmmm, not exactly, I'm willing to work within the $30 per acre less the owner's costs, perhaps they'll pay me $5 or $10 per acre. That's what I mean. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I'm thinking getting my own tractor to do landscaping biz, but it is very hard to get any loan these days past $2500. I wish everyone to become rich, of course.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
we do acreage for $30 an acre, yes its low, but it only brings in $150 to $210 per hour, maybe we need to be charging more.
$150 to $210 per hour? Are you serious? That is fantastic money even if owning a tractor and a trailer truck! You must be using a 15' bat wing deck.