Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Starter Fert with seeding

Normally I do starter Fert, aerate, and seed all at the same time. Mohave wondered about doing the starter a little early and if it matters.

I don't have many seeding jobs...maybe 20-25 or 250k total. I can usually get them done in a week or less.

I will be coming out to spray any weeds in the lawn and have alway thought about doing the starter then to try and save a little time. If the weather and equipment holds I would spray, wait 7 days and start seeding.

Anything wrong with applying starter that early? It's 18-24-12 and 48% xcu I think. I would then follow up in November with more Fert, 1-1.25 lb N.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done it that way for cool season seeding. If I was doing one this late here I would wait until well after seeding for the herbicide but I understand you will not be under the gun to get the seed up like we would here. But yes, getting the starter fertilizer down and working is fine. Let us know how it works compared to how you have done it in the past if you try it.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your plan should work fine--starter fertilizer 7 days in advance; why not?

Would you mind? Compare the results with starter fert at the same time as the seed.

And would you mind? Compare results using an ordinary turf fertilizer.

Paying top dollar for a starter fertilizer is fine...HOWEVER...if phosphorus levels in the soil are adequate---why add more? How much is enough? Which is more important--nitrogen or phosphorus?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think about this logically guys. If you put the fert down 7 days early then seed wait 20 days for the new plants to start getting roots down. Who is eating this fert food for the 27 days it takes for the new plants to get down roots. The competition that is who... The existing growth is getting fed and getting watered so it is stronger and better able to crowd out the new plants making it much more difficult for the new plants to get going. Makes more sense to put the food for the new plants down when the need it say 20 to 21 days AFTER YOU SEED.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
Think about this logically guys. If you put the fert down 7 days early then seed wait 20 days for the new plants to start getting roots down. Who is eating this fert food for the 27 days it takes for the new plants to get down roots. The competition that is who... The existing growth is getting fed and getting watered so it is stronger and better able to crowd out the new plants making it much more difficult for the new plants to get going. Makes more sense to put the food for the new plants down when the need it say 20 to 21 days AFTER YOU SEED.
This makes complete sense but does the starter fert help with germination in any way and is it advisable to have traffic on a newly seeded/sprouted lawn @ 21 days in order to spread the fert?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 09-19-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. Does starter fert help with germination? If not germination--early growth(say 21 days) ? Or does it mainly help after grass is 2 inches tall? Is the nitrogen or phosphorus more important?
Does potash have any role at all?
When establishing new grass what percentage improvement can one expect? How do you measure early success? I suspect weighing clipping yield is the only practical method.
Can starter fert overstimulate the old grass and thereby slow-down your new variety?
Does starter affect equally all grasses? Sod or seed? Blue? Rye? Fescue F? Fescue T? Bermuda? At Aug? Zoysia? Centipede?
How soon should you add additional fertilizer, and what type?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Point taken, turfcobob. I was in terms of not walking across it 10-14 days after it is planted.

Riggle: I believe water - whether too little, too much, or erosion before establishment -are bigger concerns than fertility for the first 30 days or so. Of course, both issues can be addressed simultaneously.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post

I've thought about this exact same thing this year!! We are going to spread fert a week or 2 after the overseed this year. Really too busy to "document" any results but we will take a look and see how it compares to previous years overseed jobs. I'll do a test on my own lawn later when I have time.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think fert only comes into play mostly AFTER germination.....which depending on weather and species can take 10,15, or even 20 days after seeding.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed doesn't care about fertilizer, it responds to water...

I tend to think that if there is more N at the surface than deep in the soil, that the new grass root will stop its downward growth and suck up the N at the surface... I haven't come across the definitive answer to that one yet...