Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Adjusting breaks....

Hi Briano,
I need to adjust the breaks on my '11 HD SZ but the thread on the linkage/strut on one side is maxed out. I was told by a dealer that there is an adjustment that can be made inside the break drum itself, so that is what I need to do. I believe its just a screw or something.

Is there a schematic/parts break down anywhere that can help me with this adjustment?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Parts list diagram

Looks like a standard old style brake-shoe adjustment ?

http://www.hustlerturf.com/mower-manuals.html

Scroll down to your model and check page section 3-16 for a diagram in super Z HD...

Neil :-)
Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

In case you've not done one of these : flip off that black plastic oval on the rear of the drum . Now you can access the star-wheel with a flat blade screwdriver tip . FIRST : release the drum brake and then click the adjuster
a half a turn . Re-apply the brake as see if it's a tighter grip . You can also reset the linkage if you need to get some adjustment-later-on , without using the star-turn .
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Sponsor

Very much like the old rear drums on our cars back in the 70's. I'm not 100% but one side might be reverse thread. Cars were but I'm not to sure about the HD. I would back off the linkage for future adjustments before playing with the star, and have your handles in. Jacking the back end might help you test how tight your brakes are. Too much and you'll get a squeak that will drive you up a wall.

Brian O
Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys so, I dont need to disassemble the drum itself, I can adjust it from behind? That would save a lot of drama if so.

I will reset the linkages/struts etc first.

Neil, any chance of a photo of that oval cover? I cant see it on the parts breakdown.
My serial is... 929935EX
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Sponsor

Drum stays on, everything from the backside. you may want to take the tires off for more room. I would try with them on and then go from there. It's not hard just need a couple of extra bends in your body. If your elbow can bend like a universal joint you are good to go!

Brian O
Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, my body dont bend like it used to, so the wheels are coming off. It would make it easier to get to those linkages anyway!

Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Thanks guys so, I dont need to disassemble the drum itself, I can adjust it from behind? That would save a lot of drama if so.

I will reset the linkages/struts etc first.

Neil, any chance of a photo of that oval cover? I cant see it on the parts breakdown.
My serial is... 929935EX
Mick , it's 2cm long and 1cm wide , black plastic. It's on the bottom of the drum back surface.
Just flick it off with a blade to reveal the slot in the drum back for access to the star spin wheel. Borrow a face makeup mirror from your better half to see it ;-)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Mick , is this all sorted now ?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Havent had a chance to get onto it yet. Was going to have a look today but got called away.
I'll report back in this thread how it goes when I do get to it.