Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
If you're talking about gross axle weights, you don't need to include tongue weight since that's separate from axle weight. Total trailer GVWR includes tongue weight, so 11,500 on a 14,000 GVWR trailer that weighs 3500 empty would be technically overloaded. Would it break? Probably not, but it's better to have the right tool for the job. FWIW, you're not in CDL territory until the GVWR of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer combined exceed 26K, and only if the GVWR of the trailer exceeds 10K.
A 25,999 truck and a 9,999 trailer technically doesn't need cdl right? That's basically a 750 and skid trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
If you got pulled over and where checked there supposed too check each axles weight. So if you balanced the load and no axle was overwight then it is legal. My gooskneck has 2 7k axles and the GVWR is 15,600 pounds. Behind my F250 it and the trailer weigh 12,500 pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Mark13 Mark13 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
My gooskneck has 2 7k axles and the GVWR is 15,600 pounds. Behind my F250 it and the trailer weigh 12,500 pounds.
Depending what year F250 you have and what your plates are good for you've got quite a bit of useable capacity.

My truck and gooseneck are 17,000lb empty, I'm plated for 32,000lb.
Trailer is 8600lb empty with 2 10k axles and a 24,999lb gvw. Truck is 8400lb empty, don't remember my axle ratings off hand, 4680fawr and 6850lb rawr comes to mind but I'm probably wrong.
__________________
06 Chevy 2500
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 AM
TTS TTS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
A 25,999 truck and a 9,999 trailer technically doesn't need cdl right? That's basically a 750 and skid trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
Wrong. The combination of those two exceeds 26k. Any vehicle single or combined that exceeds 26k requires a CDL. Since your trailer is less than 10k you can get away with a class B CDL. If the combination is greater than 26k and the trailer is greater than 10k you need a class A. Pulling a 9,999 trailer you would need a truck at 16k or less
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
hosejockey2002's Avatar
hosejockey2002 hosejockey2002 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS
Wrong. The combination of those two exceeds 26k. Any vehicle single or combined that exceeds 26k requires a CDL.
Actually, he's right. A single vehicle over 26K requires a CDL, but the combo can exceed 26K IF the trailer is under 10K GVWR. Here's the verbage from the Idaho website, but this is federal standard.

Combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR*) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR*) of the towed unit is greater than 10,000 pounds.

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds.

Vehicle transporting 16 or more persons (including the driver).

Vehicle of any size carrying hazardous materials in quantities large enough to require placards.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
dieselss dieselss is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: highland in
Posts: 617
The first thing the DOT police are going to do is ck the gvwr on the door sticker and then on the vin plate of the trail. If that is over 26001 then cdl is needed.
If your truck is over 10000 and your using for profit dot numbers are needed as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 PM
TTS TTS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
Actually, he's right. A single vehicle over 26K requires a CDL, but the combo can exceed 26K IF the trailer is under 10K GVWR. Here's the verbage from the Idaho website, but this is federal standard.

Combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR*) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR*) of the towed unit is greater than 10,000 pounds.

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds.

Vehicle transporting 16 or more persons (including the driver).

Vehicle of any size carrying hazardous materials in quantities large enough to require placards.
I stand corrected, I read the rules off the back of my license which are condensed to fit and the wording was odd. After looking it up on the WIDOT site you're correct.

Where it gets tricky is going to class A, if your trailer is 10,001 or more then your truck can max at 15,999 or less (combination under 26k) It's annoying how they switch between single vehicle and combination weights between the 2 classes.

Last edited by TTS; 09-18-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
A 25,999 truck and a 9,999 trailer technically doesn't need cdl right? That's basically a 750 and skid trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
Right.

Technically you can go to 26k + 10k.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-19-2013, 08:41 PM
hosejockey2002's Avatar
hosejockey2002 hosejockey2002 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS
Where it gets tricky is going to class A, if your trailer is 10,001 or more then your truck can max at 15,999 or less (combination under 26k) It's annoying how they switch between single vehicle and combination weights between the 2 classes.
True that. It gets really tricky when you get close to the limit. If you are towing with, say an F550 and have one of those trailers that's derated to 9999 GVWR to get around the CDL regs and you are 2 pounds overweight on the trailer, you are really screwed if you don't hold a CDL!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM
dieselss dieselss is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: highland in
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Right.

Technically you can go to 26k + 10k.
No. The combo is 36,000 that's cdl
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.08429 seconds with 9 queries