Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBreeze View Post
FS-90 has not been running up to potential so I brought it in for service. I was told it needs a short block.......repair cost $325.00

Obviously, it would make no sense to repair for that price, new FS 90 is $299.00

Unit is running, just not as well as it should.

Any ideas how to salvage this trimmer?? Thanks
I never got decent service from the 4-Mess engine. I would not spend a dime on it. If I wanted to stay with Stihl I would replace it with a FS 70R which is still a 2-stroke. Power will be about the same with alot less problems.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
Just a few off the wall questions that came to my mind...
WHY does it need a shortblock? What was the REASON? Or could the shop not find a problem and just figured a shortblock would cure it?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly!
Along with WJ's thoughts on 4-mess ( I like that! ) engines. What is the point of havin' a cam and valvetrain and havin' to STILL mix oil with yer gasahol????

......AMF!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
I never got decent service from the 4-Mess engine. I would not spend a dime on it. If I wanted to stay with Stihl I would replace it with a FS 70R which is still a 2-stroke. Power will be about the same with alot less problems.
Personally, I think the FS70 should have never been made a "Professional or Commercial unit"! I am not the only one with this opinion... Including "Stihl" people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Yeah, my thoughts exactly!
Along with WJ's thoughts on 4-mess ( I like that! ) engines. What is the point of havin' a cam and valvetrain and havin' to STILL mix oil with yer gasahol????
The point is a cleaner burning unit with more torque then a 2 stroke. As to the 4 Mix, as most of the commercial cutters also turn the unit on it's side to then edge with, try that with a "typical 4 stroke" that uses straight gas and has a sump with oil... It won't run very long before it is locked up from lack of lube.

For you 2 stroke guys, wait til later in the year for the FS94! It is supposed to be like the FS80 in power and weight, but with the new Stratified engine... Then again, for the guys who ran the FS80's or any trimmer model or brand with NO line guard cutting a 3 foot path, you won't like it, and there will be problems like there is now!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely go with Echo 265 when you replace it, a 2 stroke and adjustable carburetor.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
The unit as stated is an FS90! It is a 4-STROKE engine! Pulling the muffler will not reveal anything about the piston/rings/cylinder condition!
Not much experience with Stihl or 4 mix, but they are still burning a mix. Do they not have exhaust port carbon issues?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what to tell you 4-cycle hand tool haters but the longest running tools in my arsenal are ALL 4-cyclers, we're talking 9 years of almost every day use on one... The other's got like 6 years, another 7, I never saw that kind of longevity in the 2-cyclers but you have to get out of a certain mindset that boggles you down into believing what you believe or you'll never come out ahead, like any piece of equipment they do require maintenance a bit beyond pouring gas in the tank, so long this maintenance is performed periodically I have found little problem.

Granted some are brain busters but hey, if you don't want your 4-cyclers I will PAY the shipping to my house (assuming they are whole units with no parts broken or missing).
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will tinker with it over the winter. I have adjusted the valves and checked the carbon build-up.
While I was dropping unit off, 2 Stihl trimmers came in for repair. And they were not old units, actually fairly new. I'm sticking with Echo in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I don't know what to tell you 4-cycle hand tool haters but the longest running tools in my arsenal are ALL 4-cyclers, we're talking 9 years of almost every day use on one... The other's got like 6 years, another 7, I never saw that kind of longevity in the 2-cyclers but you have to get out of a certain mindset that boggles you down into believing what you believe or you'll never come out ahead, like any piece of equipment they do require maintenance a bit beyond pouring gas in the tank, so long this maintenance is performed periodically I have found little problem.

Granted some are brain busters but hey, if you don't want your 4-cyclers I will PAY the shipping to my house (assuming they are whole units with no parts broken or missing).
I will agree with you, My 2 stokers only last me 3 years. Now my 4 mix last me 4 years. I had one this year was its fourth year and the piston rod broke and screwed it up bad.
If you can get 9 years out one then, I say you don't trim much.

One way to know if you trim a lot is how long does 2.5 gal of fuel last you??

My self Im lucky to get 2 days out of 2.5 gal and that's running 2-3 trimmers
Friday I'll use 2.5 gals on one lawn and that's just trimmers
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Definitely go with Echo 265 when you replace it, a 2 stroke and adjustable carburetor.
Stihl has plenty of 2 stroke models that have adjustable carburetors... What makes the Echo 265 special?

The days of having a "fully adjustable" carburetor are long gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Not much experience with Stihl or 4 mix, but they are still burning a mix. Do they not have exhaust port carbon issues?
2 strokes are the ones with exhaust screens, ports and mufflers that have the issue of stopping up... 4 strokes do not typically have any of those issues.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBreeze View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I will tinker with it over the winter. I have adjusted the valves and checked the carbon build-up.
While I was dropping unit off, 2 Stihl trimmers came in for repair. And they were not old units, actually fairly new. I'm sticking with Echo in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
So again, what was the reason your FS90 "needed to be shortblocked" to begin with?