Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kse1221 View Post
Simple question.....

Who would quit their job making $58000 to start a landscape maintenance business. thats with 401k matching 6% and paying $315 for health benefits a month. Just curious.. how many crews would i need to make this in the business?

To answer your question.

A person that wants to take a risk and try something new?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
Yeah your missing the fact that it will take you about 4 years of busting your @$$ by yourself before you can afford to hire one guy. You will need about 10 grand a month gross before you can hire a guy. How long will it take to reach that? So now your at 120 grand a year and have no choice but to hire someone. Now take a $10 an hour employee and minus about $25 grand from that gross. Now your back down to 95 grand. Lets say your at 25% profit of that 95 grand. That leaves you with about 23 grand.

Starting to get the picture?

Here is a good quote from one of the other posters. Quote:In my experience, besides the physical exhaustion you experience it's all the detail stuff that wears you out in this industry. All the little things one can take for granted in a corporate job (finding customers, fielding 10 phone calls a day while trying to keep up with your maintenance route, customer relations, marketing, etc.) - you are responsible for everything in your business from A-Z

Then you have to expect to work half days, and by that I mean 12+ hrs. especially early spring and fall. How will that affect your family and social life? And you must consider your initial investment, plan on spending $50-100K to set up a rig capable of supporting that income level and instantly your first 1 or 2 years income are gone to pay for that. End Quote:

Working solo you may be at 30% profit after everything. So if you gross $100 grand your only taking in $30 grand. Trust me those numbers are really close to reality. Then as you grow you add more overhead and that 30% number starts to fall to maybe 20%. So if you gross $300 thousand your net will be somewhere around $60 grand.

How long do you think it will take you to gross $300 thousand? If mowing only......A loooooooonnnnnnngggggg friggin Time! Do you think these commercial properties are going to just give some new guy with no clue a job? They want references, they want to know how big a company you are so they can see if you are capable of doing the job and on and on. The outlay for equipment never ends. Just when you think you have everything you need something else.

It takes years to build a reputation and that cost money. 10% of gross goes for advertising a year. Its too early for me to write a book, I'll sit back and watch.

I just love these types of unrealistic threads from guys with no clue.

Dave...
I do not need to advertise so that saves me 10% and I think I am closer to the 70% range as solo.

%
Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I read the posts and didn't see the twist. Keep your full time job and run your business part-time. I have been doing it for years. I work a lot a real lot. 50 hrs. plus full time and till dark the rest of the time. I work 7 days a week. The nice thing for part-time is I pick and choose. I make time for the family and go on vacation to boot. I have a small crew on call when needed. Not to big not to small. I'm the boss and I make it work. Stress sure....But a trip to the zoo or to a movie with the family brings me back. Some lawns once a week and the 10 day lawns are in fact bi-weekly. Be honest with all people involved so you can sleep at night and people understand its part-time. If they don't....CUT THEM LOOSE.....LESS STRESS in your life. You will never please those customers. Good luck.....
Old 10-29-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kse1221 View Post
Simple question.....

Who would quit their job making $58000 to start a landscape maintenance business. thats with 401k matching 6% and paying $315 for health benefits a month. Just curious.. how many crews would i need to make this in the business?
I made $48,xxx when i was with a state IT job years ago. I already had lawns, maintenance, starting snow plowing but up till then only did driveways and snow blowing, seeding, aerations, new landscape installs for homeowners etc.

Technically benefits were great for that job, but i knew i could do 10x better, i'm not comparing a 50k yr job to going out solo and mowing lawns though, we have multiple trucks, equipment etc. and nearly all commercial accounts.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuacro View Post
I do not need to advertise so that saves me 10% and I think I am closer to the 70% range as solo.

%
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/siz

Shenangans in so many ways I don't know where to begin.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudonLawnCare View Post
I am in a very similar situation. While I enjoy my current job, I have always been interested in running my own business.

Trust me, I have crunched the numbers and the potential to make a lot of money in this business is there... if the effort is put in. You need to start working on a business plan, if done correctly, you will set expectations and have a clear understanding on where you need to be on a month to month basis.

I would also recommend starting slow. I am still working full time and mowing about 7 residential and 1 commercial lawns per week.

This example below may be dreaming, but its definitely doable!
Quick Math
8 Lawns per day at $50 = $400
$400 per day x 5 = $2000
$2000 x 27 weeks (rough estimate) = $54000

Expenses (Considering that equipment is paid for)
Gas - $6500
Insurance -.rtising - $800
Misc - $5000
=$13000

End up with 41K
As usual forgot to pay taxes and put away for retirement. Expenses are light especially if your marketing for significant growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't quit my job to start a business. You're not guaranteed to make that much money your first year or even in five years. Running a business can be stressful. I'd stay at your current job for 58k a year.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I wouldn't quit my job to start a business. You're not guaranteed to make that much money your first year or even in five years. Running a business can be stressful. I'd stay at your current job for 58k a year.
I could not agree more.

It really helps when other family members are on board and help in any capacity. I have often wondered how many folks in the biz really excel in absolutely every area of the business purely solo, then hire and grow, and do really well and DON'T burn out...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok the post is who would quit a job making 58,000 year to do this. I would and did I was making much more than even 58k. Some of you may be in markets that you could not but here there is not a limit on what you can make in this business. But you have to be a great business person and you have to hire the right people from your office staff to your sales staff. I have many friends that are among the most successfull in our town four of them will clear more than one million this year. Making 300-400k profit is easy i have done it so do not listen to these guys say you cant even make 58k prior to 2008 it was easier than now but building is going on and installs are picking up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it depends on what it is. I quit a job making $18 an hour to start my business.. ok so thats not close to 58k. but I made 50k one year with overtime, but that was just one year when they let me work overtime. the only reason i left is because they wouldn't take me off night shift, and it was more strenuous than lawn care work because i was pretty much lumping boxes all night long and i was sick of it.

now, would i have quit a 58k a year job with bennies if it was a desk job? lol.. probably not.

I Grossed just under 28k this year, being my first year full time. $16k in expenses, and thats after fuel, some advertising, some equipment purchases. I didn't pay myself a dime this year. I'm going into the end the year with about 9k saved, and after i pay taxes i'm assuming i'm gonna be starting out next year scraping up whatever i can to get started.. lol. I have no regrets (yet), i'm much happier. and i found all kinda new ways to cook ramen noodles. I didn't get into this because i had dreams of being rich, i just like this kinda work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post