Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just seems odd to me, like giving a bonus for actually doing the job they are hired to do...

I think I agree with the others, bonus or % for upsells/new sales and for no call backs/complaints, or incorporate and give stock out
Old 09-20-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
just seems odd to me, like giving a bonus for actually doing the job they are hired to do...

I think I agree with the others, bonus or % for upsells/new sales and for no call backs/complaints, or incorporate and give stock out
we are just trying to figure out a way to be sure to keep the guys that we have now and be sure that they do not leave. One other question I have is do any of you guys pay ober time after eight hours per day or is it always after 40 hours per week? Ours is after 40 per week and some of the guys are comaining that it seems that every Friday they are getting rained out and losing out for the week. I understand and just considered changing to overtime after eight hours per day. Anyone else do this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post

It is called Dangling the Carrot. Make me a lot of money and I will let you get a bite too.

But paying Employees $ 18 an hour and then offering a 2%, would be a slap in the face. $ 8.50 an hour plus a Commission big enough to make $ 18-20 an hour is call incentive. Good help is hard to get so keeping them is important.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
It is called Dangling the Carrot. Make me a lot of money and I will let you get a bite too.

But paying Employees $ 18 an hour and then offering a 2%, would be a slap in the face. $ 8.50 an hour plus a Commission big enough to make $ 18-20 an hour is call incentive. Good help is hard to get so keeping them is important.

I hear u I wish I had some good help I fired my help in August for not showing up, it's a shame u have to play these games , it should be simple pay some one well who works hard and has pride in what they do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess I need to move to PA. $18 an hour for a tech + 2%!!! LOL. I'm certified working for same company for 10 years and barely make that!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumb11 View Post
Guess I need to move to PA. $18 an hour for a tech + 2%!!! LOL. I'm certified working for same company for 10 years and barely make that!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk95 View Post
It would be based on total sales not profit. We know our profit and would be fine with 2%. As far as the question isthere something wrong with paying straight hourly rate and a commission for sales... No I don't think so, but is there something wrong with trying to give the technicians a little more of a reason to build that route because every time they sell something we both make more money and it is not just a one time thing. Why should they just get paid once instead of each time we do the job? Don't you think that would give more motivation to sell and build a route rather than one time commission?
Posted via Mobile Device
Except you still have to pay them over time. Work 4 10's instead of the 8's
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

2% is going to average each tech between $10,000-$13,000 per year just on what they do now. Not counting what they add to their routes. Apparently I am not talking to the right people here. I can't imagine any tech rolling their eyes at that and telling us how little they care about it, or that they think it is pittance either. Thanks for all the help... This is why I stopped coming to this site years ago. A lot of people with smart a** answers that claim to know it all without understanding what they are talking about. I thought maybe things may have gotten better by now but I see it has not changed much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats to you for pulling 500k+ from each tech. You da man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk95 View Post
It would be based on total sales not profit. We know our profit and would be fine with 2%. As far as the question isthere something wrong with paying straight hourly rate and a commission for sales... No I don't think so, but is there something wrong with trying to give the technicians a little more of a reason to build that route because every time they sell something we both make more money and it is not just a one time thing. Why should they just get paid once instead of each time we do the job? Don't you think that would give more motivation to sell and build a route rather than one time commission?
Posted via Mobile Device
I had to re-read this thread several times before I understood what you are proposing.

example: Johnny Lawnjockey sells a full program service, once per year aeration, tree and shrub care, etc.. Instead of paying say 10% sales commission one time up front, you would pay him 2% commission every time the service is done (every six weeks if this was my company).

Though he sold the job say five years before(and the customer is still on the books), as long as he is still an employee of your company he will get the 2%.
Even if he is not the current tech doing the job because he grew and tightened his own route past the point of being able to service all of the sales that he made.

Initially, the commission checks would be small, but over time they could become quite substantial!

It could cause dissension though if another tech is now servicing Johnny Lawnjockey's old customer and does inferior service thereby leading to a cancellation and *** poof***, 2% residual GONE!