Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I really only run two a couple days a week. That's when we do our farms and horse farms. All pretty close to home and we dont get up to highway speeds. I only have this much business due to small town people loving small town business trust me. Started with an old woods 5180. I almost wanna slow down on the growth sometimes. Hear a lot of warnings about going too fast.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow, i cant believe you pull a trailer that big with that little truck! i would def go with a used truck before the mower. my 16 ft trailer was too much for my 2500, you must go through brakes once a year?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
The same with the truck if you have no truck how are you going to pull your trailer. You have way to much weight for that truck. It will be worn out and worth nothing in a year if you are pulling that trailer daily. Also not good to lie to the wife about the business you should be accounting for replacement of equipment in your bids.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, but I don't get upgrading the trailer to a size where it's obviously a problem for the towing vehicle! I'm not sure what the towing capacity is for your truck, but at the best you're probably completely maxed out. Personally, if I were in your position, I would go with upgrading your truck before worrying about the mowers. If you can't get the mowers to where you need to be, then the best mower in the world won't do you a bit of good.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
Sorry, but I don't get upgrading the trailer to a size where it's obviously a problem for the towing vehicle! I'm not sure what the towing capacity is for your truck, but at the best you're probably completely maxed out. Personally, if I were in your position, I would go with upgrading your truck before worrying about the mowers. If you can't get the mowers to where you need to be, then the best mower in the world won't do you a bit of good.
well the truck has never had an issue till now and I used to pull 2 ztrs and my stander on the flatbed 18 I used to run. So I bought the trailer thinking it would be fine. It pulls one mower in there just fine. Towing cap. is 5000. I never get over 4500 with it, so it's not dangerous by any means. Just more strain than I care to put on the truck. I'm really more shocked no one else trys running a midsized. I still get 19mpg with the trailer. Its only just now I got to the point where its to much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclawns365 View Post
well the truck has never had an issue till now and I used to pull 2 ztrs and my stander on the flatbed 18 I used to run. So I bought the trailer thinking it would be fine. It pulls one mower in there just fine. Towing cap. is 5000. I never get over 4500 with it, so it's not dangerous by any means. Just more strain than I care to put on the truck. I'm really more shocked no one else trys running a midsized. I still get 19mpg with the trailer. Its only just now I got to the point where its to much.
Posted via Mobile Device
midsized? compared to what? a 4cyl s10?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

lol a colorado is mid sized???
Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Midsized compared to an s-10 or ranger 2wd yes. My colorado is a 4 door z71 off road with a tow package. Im not trying to oversell what it is, but you can hardly call them a compact truck. Plus the strait 5 has more power and pulls better than my old s-10 ever did, and the s-10 had the 4.3 v6. It pulls at least as well as my old F-150 running that 5.0 302.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the s 10 was replaced by the colorado, its basically the same truck, updated with a new badge. i would call it compact, if i called it a truck at all.. to each is own, but pulling that trailer with that truck and that much weight is flat out dangerous.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would upgrade the pickup. Pulling to the limit even with brakes is probably a hazard. And yes it is a compact pickup. Evey thing under 3500 is a pickup, a truck is 3500 and up.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

It is the same truck. The only things they changed were the frame, chassis, engine, transmission, gear ratios, and suspension. I was a chevy mechanic before I got in to lawncare, and I studied these trucks hard before I bought it. I dont pull more than 4500 on the worst days, and I run with a brake controller with 4 wheel brakes on the trailer. It never hesitates to stop. Until now, it never even pulled hard with a trailer. I promise yall, if i thought it was dangerous for even a second it wouldnt be on the road. I love my full sized trucks, dont get me wrong, but has anyone here driven a colorado? Or are you all going off the assumption its still an s-10?