Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a helper and have him work with you as much as possible. The end of the day you can do more administrative work which has to get done. The helper should mirror your work ethic after a few weeks. I work a full time and a part time 10 years (very little during turf season) and my bus. 45 customers w/50 parcels. Do not waste time on iffy helpers. Try and make them understand the industry and some of your goals. Pay them enough to keep them coming back. Good luck
Big Tex 60SP 6.5x16 trailer
John Deere ZTRs 925aEFI 60" 920a 60" 910a 54" (2)
John Deere 7H17/WG32A
Honda HRC216HXA 21" (2)
Little Wonder Leaf Loader and Optimax 570V
Echo/Stihl handheld service equipment
Husquvarna 445/395XP
Western Pro Plus 8.5/ SnowEx SP-1075
Toro 826 OE Snow Thrower
American Family Ins
"making the st.louis area beautiful one lawn at a time"
Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
At the end of the day no one will care about your business as much as you do. Remember, you can rely on yourself and that's about it.
Hate to criticize, but this is a very close-minded statement. As the owner of a company with 50+ employees, I can proudly say that the MAJORITY of our people treat our business as if it were their own. This is true from the laborers to the foreman to the production managers to the salesmen to the office staff...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This reminds me of an old Andy Griffith show where Andy buys a laundromat and tries to run it while still being a full time sheriff. Didn't work for him and ain't gonna work for you.

Your wife is absolutely right about the benefits, you need to protect them at all costs. Having an employee is going to eat your profits aside from the other problems already stated. I think you need to be happy with doing what you can comfortably do yourself on the side. Once greed enters the equation you set yourself up for failure.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the same boat. I work my ass off, 7 days a week. Going full time isn't in the cards until my girlfriend and I get married, and she starts her job once college is done. I'm trying to make it another 9 years, and at least get my pension.

Next year ill get a part timer to help with the workload, and hopefully will be able to eventually find someone I can trust do to full time. I'd like to keep growing, and once I hit the 10 years, I'm out and doing just this. Working for a district is great for the pension and benefits, we don't make anything otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best thing I ever did was hire lol... and i had 35 yards at the time. grossing about 1500/week
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your input! I will likely hire someone to help me next year and work with him. Keep the comments coming in if you have input!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Thank you for your input! I will likely hire someone to help me next year and work with him. Keep the comments coming in if you have input!
What are your hours doing maintenance? I work 230-1030. Just curious
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5-8am then 1-6pm. I squeeze my work in between. In the Summer I work 4 10's from 6-4:30pm m-th. Having a work schedule that's inconsistent makes hiring help difficult. It's a tough situation.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
5-8am then 1-6pm. I squeeze my work in between. In the Summer I work 4 10's from 6-4:30pm m-th. Having a work schedule that's inconsistent makes hiring help difficult. It's a tough situation.
That is a really difficult schedule. Any chance you can switch to a more strictly night schedule like most custodians do? You're never going to be able to grow it with a schedule like that, or at least it'll be extremely difficult and you'll be burning yourself out working 7 days a week. Like my schedule allows for some easier hours with hiring. In the summer I switch to days too, but can always do nights if I really wanted to, or needed to. When it starts getting dark at 730 in late august those day hours start to become a burden.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
That is a really difficult schedule. Any chance you can switch to a more strictly night schedule like most custodians do? You're never going to be able to grow it with a schedule like that, or at least it'll be extremely difficult and you'll be burning yourself out working 7 days a week. Like my schedule allows for some easier hours with hiring. In the summer I switch to days too, but can always do nights if I really wanted to, or needed to. When it starts getting dark at 730 in late august those day hours start to become a burden.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have to stick to those schedules pretty strictly. In the Summer the school district is on a strict energy savings plan due to the economy going to heck. I think I will always be stuck doing 4 10's. We work in groups of 20 or so during the Summer.

I am really leaning towards hiring a couple guys to do the lawn maintenance for me. I can add clients as I grow and give them more hours. In a couple years I will have enough clients to keep a guy busy full-time. I know it sounds fine on paper, but I have a feeling pulling it off could be really difficult. I have no problem throwing several thousand at marketing if I know I will have someone to help with the work.