Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys, i talked to my local landscape supplier where i get my stuff from and he said around here they are charging about 6 bucks per 1000 sq ft. for weed killer they are using gordans trimec.. does that sound about right?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamLandscapemgmt View Post
thanks guys, i talked to my local landscape supplier where i get my stuff from and he said around here they are charging about 6 bucks per 1000 sq ft. for weed killer they are using gordans trimec.. does that sound about right?
Look man, people on here cant lay it all out for you. How much does trimec cost per 1k? what is your overhead cost? how much do you want to make? Its that simple.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I wasn't talking about price.. I already have that made out I would make about 4 bucks per sq ft.. That's the going rate around here. I was asking was trimec a good weed killer? Or should I look into something else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamLandscapemgmt View Post
I wasn't talking about price.. I already have that made out I would make about 4 bucks per sq ft.. That's the going rate around here. I was asking was trimec a good weed killer? Or should I look into something else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Look at your post above that is not what you asked.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I said for weed killer they are using gordans trimec does that sound right? How is that not what I said? If u wanna help me then help if u just wanna be a dick then don't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Different Herbacides to Use

I know u posted your stuff in 2012 - hopefully this will help you or perhaps you've already learned more stuff with experience.

Trimec is a good product if all u are attacking are weeds that are controlled with 2, 4-D. Trimec also has a lower percentage of this product so it may not always be the choice I use.

U need to find a site online (University sites usually have pretty good info) that describes and shows pictures of the typical weeds in your area and how to control them.

I live in MN where I use the following for reference - The U of M Extension site - http://www1.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/weed/

Now - back to product choices. (I would highly recommend licensing if available - this will help you get a good understanding of the basics of weed control - and get you more work and make your competition less irritated with idiots out there spraying with no knowledge....)

Straight up 2, 4-D kills a lot of weeds. Depending on the ability of some weeds to resist certain herbicides, you may need to change it up a bit.

For 2,4-D, I use a product called Triplet SF. Has a higher concentration of 2, 4-D and is priced pretty good - I think I pay $150 for 2 1/2 gals of concentrate and spread it at 1 to 1.5 oz per gallon/1000 Sq Ft. (You'll have to calibrate your spreaders (liquid and dry) to figure out how to spread at this rate.)

We have a weed in MN called 'Creeping Charlie' or Ground Ivy. 2, 4-D will make it turn yellow but doesn't always kill it after the first application. For this type of more resistant weed, I use a product called Crossbow which not only has a high concentration of 2, 4-D but has a product called Triclopyr included. This chemical does a better job on killing Charlie than just plain 2, 4-D.

We also have crabgrass around here that bugs some of the homeowners more than others....remember, anything that you want to get rid of that has the word 'grass' as part of it's name is hard to selectively kill while keeping desirable grasses.

For crabgrass, look for a product with Quinclorac (Quincept is one product) or Fenoxaprop mixed with the 2, 4-D. This will be more effective for Crabby - but be careful - this product if overused can kill desirable grasses too.....READ THE LABEL INSTRUCTIONS on how to mix and when to apply.

All for now - hope this helps.