Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda Auto-Choke Sticking GSV190

Hello everyone, I have a toro 22156 mower with the honda GSV190 engine. I know a lot of mowers have this engine, the auto choke system is great when new but quickly begins to stick, normally the choke quickly glides to the normal running position, but after a month or so of use the choke sticks on and I have to bend over and un-choke it, lol, I know what a pain in the butt. Anyways the mower is clean, as best I can get, I am wondering what causes this to stick? Is it a linkage arm or something? Its not a huge deal but now as it gets cooler I find that the choke is needed more often, any info would be great.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hello everyone, I have a toro 22156 mower with the honda GSV190 engine. I know a lot of mowers have this engine, the auto choke system is great when new but quickly begins to stick, normally the choke quickly glides to the normal running position, but after a month or so of use the choke sticks on and I have to bend over and un-choke it, lol, I know what a pain in the butt. Anyways the mower is clean, as best I can get, I am wondering what causes this to stick? Is it a linkage arm or something? Its not a huge deal but now as it gets cooler I find that the choke is needed more often, any info would be great.
I just put my choke half way instead of all the way back
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its funny you mention that, I do that too, but when its really cold it isn't enough, lol. I consider it a regular choke and not an auto choke. I have an older 22156 that has the throttle and choke control on the handle, but I found it to be unnecessary and usually got snagged on branches and such.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Its funny you mention that, I do that too, but when its really cold it isn't enough, lol. I consider it a regular choke and not an auto choke. I have an older 22156 that has the throttle and choke control on the handle, but I found it to be unnecessary and usually got snagged on branches and such.
I was going to say you must like in Canada..... Then I looked up lol did you try lubing it all up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hello everyone, I have a toro 22156 mower with the honda GSV190 engine. I know a lot of mowers have this engine, the auto choke system
Do you have the ARCS (Automatic Return Choke System) where you move the choke lever to CLOSED and it slowly opens on its own?

See the attached .PDF file that has detailed troubleshooting and adjustment procedures to tweak/tune the ARCS for correct operation.

--Sometimes, the flywheel brake lever cable might required inspection/adjustment, and the choke rod may need to be bent slightly to achieve correct gap/spacing.

--The air cleaner case may require slight trimming of a plastic edge to prevent binding against the ARCS cam assembly. A cylinder barrel cooling fin may also require slight filing to provide clearance.

--More tension force from the return spring is available if one tip is repositioned.

All the above and more is detailed in the attached document. Hope it helps!

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

--
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ARCS Troubleshooting.pdf (732.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help Robert form Honda, it is great that someone from Honda was able to help me out, I will try those tips as soon as time allows. I'm sure others are suffering from this symptom and will greatly appreciate the information, cheers.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey since we have a honda guy, could you post in this thread? http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...57#post4867757