Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2000 Chevy 2500 6.0 low coolant

I have the above truck it was when they were switching styles and mine is the newer 2500 with the 6.0 (but not the HD 8600). The low coolant light has been coming on and at best it appears to be down 8oz or so if anything. I brought it into the shop I've always used and they initially said small pin hole in water pump. They then called back and said upon further review they were not sure it was the water pump and honestly said they could not pin point the leak. Suggested wait until it becomes more pronounced. This was after they were given the go ahead to replace the pump.

This has happened again and I can see no obvious leak and the coolant is only down a cup full or so. I put a dash in and the light goes off next time I start it. I can't imagine the sensor is that sensitive???

Couple of people have said replace the cap??

Or is this just another electrical chevy glitch I've had a few with this truck but it runs like a top 128K.

We know it is not going into the engine the oil has been checked and is fine thankfully.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had the water pump gasket leak. Not a big leak but coolant is lost overtime.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Your truck have much rot? Chevy's love to rot from the inside out. If yer anything like me you'll just keep throwing parts at it. Doesn't hurt anything but yer wallet. Trace everything, fill it up and try your damn hardest to find a leak. Just had to replace my power steering pump not too long ago after replacing all the hoses...and then the cooler...finally the pump. Good luck with it.

What kind of electrical issues have you had?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BckYrdLmbrJk View Post
Your truck have much rot? Chevy's love to rot from the inside out. If yer anything like me you'll just keep throwing parts at it. Doesn't hurt anything but yer wallet. Trace everything, fill it up and try your damn hardest to find a leak. Just had to replace my power steering pump not too long ago after replacing all the hoses...and then the cooler...finally the pump. Good luck with it.

What kind of electrical issues have you had?
There is zero rot on the truck. People actually comment on the lack of rust. I think the prior owner had the frame professionally treated at some point. The brake lines were all replaced with nicer type that won't rust as well prior to me buying it.

Electrical wise the low fuel light randomly comes on and the fuel gage drops to empty when it's not, then will jump back to correct fuel level. I was told this was a common problem in the early 2000 trucks and it is a bad sending unit. 2 mechanics stated it was a known problem and not worth fixing as it is an expensive fix and does not affect the performance. This also in turn makes the SES light kick on now and then. Also all the headlights and running lights are always on even if switch is in off position.

The truck burns no oil and actually drives like new, tight front end nice and smooth. Interior is immaculate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeep, Mine does the same thing with the gas light/gauge. My old chevy did it too, and everyone else I know with a chevy for that matter. If you ever have to replace the fuel pump thats the time to fix it. I just deal with it.

My SES light blinks due to a multiple misfire code aka the code from hell in these things. I think I mentioned that in another forum we were talking trucks. And the tow haul mode doesn't turn on...but very rarely it does..and doesn't turn off. I wish mine didn't have any rot, you should see it LOL. That must be nice.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this, I know what a pain it is havin issues with these things, trust me. Atleast you don't drive a ford
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a contact that will fix those cluster assemblys if you mail them to him.

Water pumps are all too common on that engine. there easy to change if you can get the fan off.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BckYrdLmbrJk View Post
Yeep, Mine does the same thing with the gas light/gauge. My old chevy did it too, and everyone else I know with a chevy for that matter. If you ever have to replace the fuel pump thats the time to fix it. I just deal with it.

My SES light blinks due to a multiple misfire code aka the code from hell in these things. I think I mentioned that in another forum we were talking trucks. And the tow haul mode doesn't turn on...but very rarely it does..and doesn't turn off. I wish mine didn't have any rot, you should see it LOL. That must be nice.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this, I know what a pain it is havin issues with these things, trust me. Atleast you don't drive a ford
Yes I do recall talking about them. I had a 2004 1500 at one point and the tow/haul had the same problem you mentioned. Apparently after 4 years it had not been worked out, my 2000 does not have that problem. Mechanic said same thing wait till if and when fuel pump goes, he said His 2002 does same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I have a contact that will fix those cluster assemblys if you mail them to him.

Water pumps are all too common on that engine. there easy to change if you can get the fan off.
My shop initially said it was the water pump but as they were about to change it they said it appeared fine and recommend holding off. There appears to be a newer sticker on top of it so it may of been changed prior to me getting the truck.

I'm going to get a new cap for the coolant tomorrow at NAPA and try that. Although that would be too easy a fix for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
My shop initially said it was the water pump but as they were about to change it they said it appeared fine and recommend holding off. There appears to be a newer sticker on top of it so it may of been changed prior to me getting the truck.

I'm going to get a new cap for the coolant tomorrow at NAPA and try that. Although that would be too easy a fix for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those water pumps are known for going out. I used to replace 3-4 a week. You can put a UV dye in the coolant to find the leak

Your gas guage problem is most likely the sending unit. Sending unit is part of the fuel pump so you cant replace it seperarly. I did a lot of them too lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Those water pumps are known for going out. I used to replace 3-4 a week. You can put a UV dye in the coolant to find the leak

Your gas guage problem is most likely the sending unit. Sending unit is part of the fuel pump so you cant replace it seperarly. I did a lot of them too lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I will have them take a 2nd look at the water pump next oil change in a month or so. Sounds like you are or were a mechanic,,,do you think it is worth buying another cap for the coolant tank???? Can't imagine they cost much are these known to get loose and wear out letting coolant evaporate out???
Posted via Mobile Device